enforce crimes

< Previous | Next >

Madonna Halim

Arabic
In the book Unstoppable the author mentions Paul Jordan, senior lead officer in LAPD Hollywood as an example for a game changer that looks for solutions not excuses, this officer mentioned that their efforts in cleaning up homeless camps were seized because of policies and litigation as a result they multiplied throughout Hollywood and complaints came pouring on them, Paul met with unit leaders and took to the streets to fix the problem, "He reminded cops we can enforce crimes committed in camps, and as a result, cop engagement intensified and arrests aroused. Sanitation arrived after constant pressure and the problem was solved (for now)."
What's meant by "enforce crimes"?

• owlman5

English-US
    That's why I got from the contest but shouldn't it be "enforce the law"?
    :thumbsup: Enforce the law is the ordinary way to express this idea, Madonna. The speaker behind that quote in the paragraph used enforce crimes committed in camps in an unusual but understandable way to refer to making special efforts to notice crimes committed in those camps and enforcing the applicable laws.

Madonna Halim

Arabic
    :thumbsup: Enforce the law is the ordinary way to express this idea, Madonna. The speaker behind that quote in the paragraph used enforce crimes committed in camps in an unusual but understandable way to refer to making special efforts to notice crimes committed in those camps and enforcing the applicable laws.
    The sentence confused me a bit, it's mentioned that Paul commented saying this was the police's adapted attitude of standing down and being passive, thus he decided to take an action himself as written in the above mentioned oaragraph. I thought he meant that by them being passive the police is enforcing the crimes committed, but then I found it this meaning doesn't make sense with the rest of the sentence "and as a result, cop engagement intensified and arrests aroused".

tunaafi

English - British (Southern England)
    :thumbsup: Enforce the law is the ordinary way to express this idea, Madonna. .
    I agree
    The speaker behind that quote in the paragraph used enforce crimes committed in camps in an unusual but understandable way to refer to making special efforts to notice crimes committed in those camps and enforcing the applicable laws.
    I don't agree. I consider it to be a serious mistake. It is, as Madonna suggested, very confusing,

owlman5

English-US
    It's true the sentence is still confusing me.
    Try not to worry about it too much, Madonna. It doesn't matter whether the man made a serious mistake or said something slightly odd in some jabber about what he or somebody did in a homeless camp. A statement was made, you read it, and people have confirmed your belief that to enforce the law is the ordinary way to express the idea. I don't think this confusion of yours will impede your further efforts to use and understand normal English.

Last edited:

tunaafi

English - British (Southern England)
    Try not to worry about it too much, Madonna. It doesn't matter whether the man made a serious mistake or said something slightly odd in some jabber about what he or somebody did in a homeless camp. A statement was made, you read it, and people have confirmed your belief that to enforce the law is the ordinary way to express the idea. I don't think this confusion of yours will impede your further efforts to use and understand normal English.
    :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

< Previous | Next >