enforce / role-playing scenarios / unwanted touch

< Previous | Next >

Ms.Roo

EEUU-English
Hi,

I'm trying to translate some text for a kids' personal safety/self-defense flyer.

I've got these 3 bullet points that I'm puzzling over:

• How to deal with bullying, peer pressure & unwanted touch
• How to set & enforce healthy boundaries (practiced in role-playing scenarios)
• Using verbal & physical tools to end an assault & get to safety, if necessary

This is what I have in Spanish so far:

• Cómo lidiar con niños abusivos, pura presión, y que no les toquen si no lo desean
• Cómo expresar y "enforce?" límites personales saludables (practicado en varias situaciones)
• Cómo defenderse verbalmente y físicamente y huir a la seguridad, si es necesario

Some of it seems to work, but I don't think it's quite right or parallel to the English.

Thanks so much for your help!

• catrina

Spanish, Mexico
    1. Cómo lidiar con niños abusivos, con la presión de los compañeros de clase y con quien trate de tocarlos aunque ustedes no quieran

2. Cómo establecer e imponer límites personales saludables (practicado en varias situaciones)

3. Cómo defenderse verbal y físicamente y huir a un lugar seguro si es necesario

Traté de respetar tu texto lo más posible; espero te sirvan estas alternativas

AJGP

Spanish, Colombia
    Hi!

My try:

Hi,

I'm trying to translate some text for a kids' personal safety/self-defense flyer.

• Cómo lidiar con niños abusivos, presión social ( I mean, the other boys), y que no les toquen si no lo desean
    • Cómo establecer e implementar reglas saludables (practicado en varias situaciones)
    • Cómo poner fin a una agresión, ya sea hablando o usando la fuerza, y así ponerse a salvo, si es necesario

Some of it seems to work, but I don't think it's quite right or parallel to the English.

Hope this helps.

Ms.Roo

EEUU-English
    Those are great suggestions, thank you!

I'm already starting to incorporate parts of your suggestions into the flyer. The one thing that I'm still getting caught up on is the "unwanted touch" -- I like the changes you made to that phrase, Catarina, but when we talk about it at our organization, we talk about how 'unwanted touch' can be our uncle giving us a hug at a time when we don't want one (some days we just don't feel hug-y) or a coach who normally can touch you to correct something you're doing, but this time it feels 'icky', etc. So it's not just certain people, but just touch that you don't want/aren't comfortable with in that moment. Which makes it trickier to translate-

With that clarification, anyone else have any stabs at that phrase or the rest of it?

Thanks again!

Lusobe

Spanish (Spain)
    No sé si puede decirse "contactos físicos no deseados" o algo por el estilo.
    ¿Qué opináis los demás?

catrina

Spanish, Mexico
    Cómo lidiar con niños abusivos, con la presión de los compañeros de clase y cómo evitar o rechazar que alguien los toque si no lo desean o no les gusta

Ms.Roo

EEUU-English
    How about this?

Cómo lidiar con niños abusivos, presión de grupo y cuando alguien los toque y no lo desean o no les gusta.

catrina

Spanish, Mexico
    In my opinion it sounds a little like a telegram, but it's not bad; it´s shorter. I wonder if it's clear when you read it for the first time. Let me try to explain myself by cutting it into pieces

Cómo lidiar con niños abusivos - no problem
    Cómo lidiar presión de grupo - telegram
    Cómo lidiar cuando alguien los toque ... - telegram/ something is missing

it also depends on the age of the children who will be reading the flyer.

Ms.Roo

EEUU-English
    Hmm, I hear what you're saying, and I know that it's my tendency as a non-native Spanish speaker/non-professional translator, so I do want to be sure not to do that.

I went back and looked at other threads that seemed to land on "presión de grupo" for peer pressure and I like it b/c it's not always their classmates per se, but if you think it doesn't really work, I'll change it.

Do you have any other suggestions for the "unwanted touch" part w/the clarifications I made? I modified it to the "cuando..." bit to try and match it to be consistently "lidiar" for the list of three things -- cuz in English it reads better if you use the same verb for the whole bullet-point list versus mixing verbs. I know that grammar is different in Spanish, so if this does work in Spanish... let me know!

The flyer is for parents/adults, not children -- it is to register their kids for classes.

Thanks again!!

catrina

Spanish, Mexico
    Hi,
    well, I have to say it is my tendency to put all the words even when you can do without them; let me try something in the middle.

Cómo lidiar con niños abusivos, con la presión de grupo y qué hacer cuando alguien los toque y no lo desean o no les gusta
    or
    Cómo lidiar con niños abusivos, con la presión de grupo y con los contactos físicos no deseados

I don´t think that "contactos físicos no deseados" conveys what you are trying to say -- "our uncle giving us a hug at a time when we don't want one (some days we just don't feel hug-y) or a coach who normally can touch you to correct something you're doing, but this time it feels 'icky"-- but the idea of unwanted sexual touch. That is why I think the first alternative goes in line with what you are trying to say.

Now, you are right peer pressure is better to convey "it's not always their classmates per se". "Compañeros de clase" is limited to only classmates.

I would love to know if this alternative works good for you :)

Ms.Roo

EEUU-English
    Sorry for my tardiness- I've been swamped at work! Yes, Catarina, thank you. I used the solution you came up with and it's working well! Thank you and everyone else for your help!

Sorguinha

Spanish - Peru
    Hi,

• Cómo lidiar con niños abusivos, pura presión, y que no les toquen si no lo desean
    • Cómo expresar y "enforce?" límites personales saludables (practicado en varias situaciones)
    • Cómo defenderse verbalmente y físicamente y huir a la seguridad, si es necesario

\

Creo que aquí hay un problema serio al traducir 'practiced in role-playing scenarios' como 'practicado en varias situaciones'. ¿No tiene que ver más bien con juegos de roles o algo por el estilo?

< Previous | Next >