enforce

< Previous | Next >

Siavash2015

Iranian-Persian
Hello everyone, sorry if I ask you a lot.
According to dictionaries enforce means:......
  • 1: to ensure observance of or obedience to (a law, decision,
  • 2: to makesure that something happens or is done

• 1: Another dictionary: to make people obey a rule or law 2: to make something happen or force someone to do something

In the TV show(how I met your mother) Marshall is talking about the damages to the environment.... I wonder what it means here:
If the economic sanctions and trade restrictions aren't enforced, the pollution of the rain forests will continue and a million of species will wiped out
Would you please tell me which one it is? And give me your definition In a more simple way?
Thank you

• ayuda?

If the economic sanctions and trade restrictions aren't enforced, the pollution of the rain forests will continue and a million of species will wiped out.

trade restrictions aren't enforced =
    This is simply what it means to me:
    are not complied with/are not carried out and obeyed/are not being compelled to be observed.

Does that make it any clearer for you?

perpend

Banned
    American English
    I agree with ayuda.

For me, this one from your OP fits, Siavish: 1: to ensure observance of or obedience to (a law, decision,

Siavash2015

Iranian-Persian
    Tha
    If the economic sanctions and trade restrictions aren't enforced, the pollution of the rain forests will continue and a million of species will wiped out.

trade restrictions aren't enforced =
    This is simply what it means to me:
    are not complied with/are not carried out and obeyed/are not being compelled to be observed.

Does that make it any clearer for you?
    Thank you Ayuda and Perpend:),
    I'd appreciate it if you could give me some examples to clarify it further.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    When we say that a law isn't being enforced, we mean that people disobey it, but no one arrests them or punishes them for not complying with the law, so the bad results of their not obeying the law will continue.

Siavash2015

Iranian-Persian
    Tha
    When we say that a law isn't being enforced, we mean that people disobey it, but no one arrests them or punishes them for not complying with the law, so the bad results of their not obeying the law will continue.
    Thank you for your great example parla:)

Siavash2015

Iranian-Persian
    So in my sentence:
    In other words can we say:
    The economic sanctions and trade restrictions aren't
    observed or obeyed?
    According to this dictionary;

to ensure observance of or obedience to (a law, decision,

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    No, they're not the same. Perhaps an example will help. I assume that in your country as in mine, a green traffic light means "go" and a red traffic light means "stop". If I keep driving although the light has turned red, I am disobeying the law. A police officer who sees me do this should enforce the law; the officer should make me pull over to the side of the street, demand to see my driver's license, and issue me a summons (an order to appear in court) for driving in a dangerous manner. If the police officer fails to do this, we might write: If the traffic regulations aren't enforced, the dangerous situation on the streets of our city will continue, and many people will be injured or killed in auto accidents.

< Previous | Next >