Enforcement on/of/?

MatteoZ

Italian
Greetings,

is it correct to refer to "an enforcement on" someone (i.e., the person that is enforced to do something)? Or, how else can I correctly express the receiver of the enforcing action?

Many thanks.

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Please give us the complete sentence in which you would use the phrase, Matteo7, so we can give you accurate answers.

MatteoZ

Italian
    "The inscription is usually interpreted as an enforcement of the winning side on the subjugated city".

Perhaps 'upon'?

(It is part of an essay in ancient history)

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    I don't think I've ever seen "enforcement" used like that to convey the sense of something being enforced on somebody. I'm just wondering whether "imposition" would be a better choice of word:
    "The inscription is usually interpreted as an imposition of the will of the winning side upon the subjugated city". :)

MatteoZ

Italian
    Thank you! To clarify, the idea is to state that the winning side enforced(?) the subjugated to inscribe (and thus to adopt) the text, which is of a legal nature. Is this acceptable, or is it still better to use 'imposition'?

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    I'm sorry, but I really don't think "enforce" works in the way that you're trying to use it. :(

You can enforce a law, a rule, or a requirement of some sort, but you can't enforce somebody to do something.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    To clarify, the idea is to state that the winning side enforced(?) the subjugated to inscribe (and thus to adopt) the text, which is of a legal nature.
    That is an explanation of what you meant, but it is not "context."

I think it would help if you summarised the inscription.

< Previous | Next >