enfranchise

< Previous | Next >

Whodunit

Deutschland ~ Deutsch/Sächsisch
Does even the AE spelling of "to enfranchise" look like that? Shouldn't the word end in "-ize" in American English as many words in "-ise" (BE) do? Could you imagine that it has to do with its stem? For instance, "realize" has the root "real", so "-ize" is a suffix. "Enfranchise" has not such a stem, so "-ise" is not a suffix.

Am I on the right track? :)

• DAH

USA/California--English
    Whodunit said:
    Does even the AE spelling of "to enfranchise" look like that? Shouldn't the word end in "-ize" in American English as many words in "-ise" (BE) do? Could you imagine that it has to do with its stem? For instance, "realize" has the root "real", so "-ize" is a suffix. "Enfranchise" has not such a stem, so "-ise" is not a suffix.

Am I on the right track? :)
    It is a word of French origin and was adopted on-its-face as being immediately usable to the English speaker, hence it has remained unchanged. It is unlikely to ever change since has the below signifance.

Black's Law Dictionary (8th ed. 2004),
    ENFRANCHISE
    [FONT=Verdana,Helvetica]enfranchise,vb. 1. To grant voting rights or other rights of citizenship to (a person or class). 2. To set free, as from slavery.
    © 2004 West, a Thomson business
    Bryan A. Garner, Editor in Chief
    (C) 2005 Thomson/West. No Claim to Orig. U.S. Govt. Works
    [/FONT]

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Greetings Who,

I'm rather surprised you didn't check the WR English dictionary before posting your question:

enfranchise Averb
    1 enfranchise

grant voting rights

fenixpollo

American English
    I think he did utilise the dictionary, cuchu, and his question reflected his surprize that the AE uzage would have an "s" when everyone knowz that we prefer to spell the suffix "-ise" with the sonorised "s"... that is to say, the "zzzz". I can't blame any Who for being confuzed.

Cheerz.

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    fenixpollo said:
    I think he did utilise the dictionary, cuchu, and his question reflected his surprize that the AE uzage would have an "s" when everyone knowz that we prefer to spell the suffix "-ise" with the sonorised "s"... that is to say, the "zzzz". I can't blame any Who for being confuzed.

Cheerz.
    FP, are you sure you've spelt sonorized incorrectly? Soundz dry and sandy.

:)

Whodunit

fenixpollo said:

Cheerz.
    You hit the nail on the head. But back to the origin of the word, I think Cuchu's link (or quote) was quite helpful, since it says something about an extended French stem -iss-, so that "enfranchize" would be too Americanized, I guess.

Thanks for the answers, and thanks to Fenix ... I'm more confused than ever before now. :D

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    DaleC said:
    This '-ise' is simply part of the word root, and not the suffix '-ize' in a variant spelling. Likewise for surprise, revise, surmise, devise, advertise, etc.
    Precisely. Spelling it "enfranchize" would be an example of hyper-correction.

Whodunit

elroy said:
    Precisely. Spelling it "enfranchize" would be an example of hyper-correction.
    After thinking it over, I consider "enfranchize" strictly wrong. Because otherwise the stem would be "enfranch-", but that's not a word. The next noun that comes to my mind is "enfranchisement". If you'd like to speak about "hyper-correction", the noun should be "enfranchement".

Ok, once again, I thank you. You have satisfactorily answered my question. :)

< Previous | Next >