engage exegesis

< Previous | Next >

AH92

Banned
Hebrew - Israel
Hi,

A professor was giving a lecture on the Bible (what Christians call "the Old Testament") and said, "Our focus has been to this point on various forms of how scholars engage exegesis, Biblical interpretation. We have looked at some older methods such as source criticism, the documentary hypothesis, as well as some of the newer methods in terms of literary criticism or even psychobiography."

Shouldn't it have been "engage in exegesis"? I listened to the recording several times over and am quite sure she omitted the word "in". Is this idiomatic English?

Thanks!

• lingobingo

English - England
    It’s not something I’m familiar with, but “engage exegesis” seems to be quite a common expression in this academic context (as a simple Google search shows).

Last edited:

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    There are also a few Google hits for 'engage interpretation' in both Biblical and art studies. I can't tell whether it's enough to say it's a standard use in those fields, or just a few individuals writing a bit strangely.

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    In a car, we might engage 3rd gear. Not "in 3rd gear" or "with 3rd gear", just "3rd gear".
    Can exegesis perhaps be viewed as a tool or method or technique that scholars can engage, if we understand "engage" in its sense of involve or bring into operation?

< Previous | Next >