engage

< Previous | Next >

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
Hi,
1. Can “engage” be changed to “involve” or “occupy”
a. The government is engaged in a project to pacify the hostile element of society.
b. The government is involved in a project to pacify the hostile element of society.
c. The government occupies a project to pacify the hostile element of society.
2. Does “to pacify” play a role as an adjective modifying the noun “project”?
3. If I change “of society” to “in society”, is it possible?
Please help me. Thanks.

• Joelline

American English
    Hi,
    1. Can “engage” be changed to “involve” or “occupy” Sometimes
    a. The government is engaged in a project to pacify the hostile element of society.:tick: see below
    b. The government is involved in a project to pacify the hostile element of society.:tick: see below
    c. The government occupies a project to pacify the hostile element of society. :cross: You'd need to change this to "The government is occupied with a project..."
    2. Does “to pacify” play a role as an adjective modifying the noun “project”? No, "to pacify" here is an infinitive.
    3. If I change “of society” to “in society”, is it possible? Perhaps.
    Please help me. Thanks.
    Regarding point 3: the problem is that you suggest that there is only one "hostile element" in society (by saying, "the hostile element"). I'd change it either to "the hostile elements" or to "a hostile element" or to "this/that hostile element." If make this change, then I'd think you could also change "of society" to "in society" (although, again, I'd like to see "in our society" or "in this society" or something more specific than just "in society.")

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
    Thank you, Joelline, very much. It is very helpful to me. It helped me understand a grammar structure and how to use words very clearly.
    As to "to pacify" I know well it is an infinitive but I want to tell about its function. It can't describe a purpose (an infinitive also describes a purpose). In this case it plays a role as an adjective. Am I right?

< Previous | Next >