Engage

< Previous | Next >

keung

Chinese
"I mean, we know how to engage each other's interests, how to be dramatic without being melodramatic"

here in this sentance, i don't really get what "engage" means, is't to raise another's interest? or to guarantees the interesting? or some other meaning else?
could someone help me?

• bibliolept

AE, Español
    There are various definitions here http://www.wordreference.com/definition/engage , as well as several threads regarding "engage."

From M-W.com, I found the following definition:
    to attract and hold by influence or power
    Engage has many uses, both as transitive or intransitive verb. A related one actually means "to hold the interest of," and would be used as follows:
    "She found his lecture very engaging."

nichec

Chinese(Taiwan)/English(AE)
    "I mean, we know how to engage each other's interests, how to be dramatic without being melodramatic"

here in this sentance, i don't really get what "engage" means, is't to raise another's interest? or to guarantees the interesting? or some other meaning else?
    could someone help me?
    I would try

--I mean, we know how to engage/take part in/participate in/be involved in............

http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/engage

keung

Chinese
    I had found one more sentence which involved "engage" twice

"It's unique because in addition to teaching the skills of teaching English, it engages in the political, economic and cultural theory of what it means to learn English. We also have courses that engage in how globalization relates to learning English and speaking it"

seemingly, i can get what the sentence mean, but could someone help to replace equivlent word to engage, thus i can make clear how to use "angage"! thx in advance.

The Slippery Slide

British English
    Basically, engaged always has the same meaning. It means "connected", more or less. That is what it means when we talk about a phone line being engaged, and people being engaged to be married. If a toilet is engaged, it means that it is connected in business with a person. In your sentence, people are connected because they interest each other. Like magnets, two interesting personalities connect.

Joobs

Banned
    Glasgow, Scotland - English
    Basically, engaged always has the same meaning. It means "connected", more or less.
    Yes, I agree. connect(ed) is the simplest way to describe the meaning.

For instance:

"Gears in a machine engage"
    "In a switch the contacts engage"

They connect the input to the output.

"When you engage in these fora" - you make a connection with other users.

< Previous | Next >