"engaged"

roniy

ISRAEL: Fluent Hebrew ( Speak Russian, Learning English)
Are these three correct ???

"I am engaged"
"I engaged to marry"
"I am engaged to marry" I am not sure about this one because that is what engaged(adj) means to get marry, right ???

Thanks.

• GenJen54

USA - English
    Technically, "engaged" means that you have made a formal commitment to someone. Most often, it refers to a commitment to get married, but can also be used in other contexts.

Your sentences are almost correct.

"I am engaged" :tick:
    "I am engaged to marry":tick:
    "I am engaged to be married":tick:

I am not sure about this one because that is what engaged(adj) means to get marry, right ???

E-J

England, English
    I've never seen "I engaged to marry" before, but "I'm engaged to be married" is certainly a common expression (even nowadays).

I'm not sure whether others would agree with me here, but I think "I'm engaged" and "I'm engaged to be married" are slightly different, in that the latter focuses a little more on the idea of the future wedding - perhaps the couple have a specific date in mind, or their plans for the wedding are a little more advanced.

E-J

England, English
    GenJen54 said:
    You're right, E-J, because it doesn't exist. My brain had a momentary disconnect.

Oh, I'm very familiar with that phenomenon! My brain very often isn't engaged ... to be married or otherwise :)