engagement rate

< Previous | Next >

Andrew1980

Hi,

What does exactly engagement rate mean in the context of popularity of social media:

"Tweeted YouTube videos earned a 0.048% Engagement Rate. Compare this to Tweets containing Vine uploads which earned a 0.031% Engagement Rate. That means in the six months since Vine was introduced to social media, it has almost caught up to YouTube uploads on Twitter in terms of engagement. This is amazing considering that for most of its life, Vine was only available on iPhones and iPads."

Is it interest, participation or it means something else? Thank you

Last edited:
  • perpend

Banned
    American English
    I don't know if this is a word, but I understand it as "interactivity".

It's "sticky". You stay on the site because you are engaged.

Andrew1980

"You stay on the site because you are engaged."

By "engaged" you mean interested here?

I have been translating a text about popularity of some movie in social media and I found there such types of statistics as: "Total engagements - 438, Week's engagements - 223". I just want to know whether this means number of persons engaged (who expressed interest) or number of actions performed by such person (viewing video, putting likes / dislikes, sharing link to video with friends)

Last edited:

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    I'm inclined to think it means the opposite of what perpend says. It's about engaging the user, in the sense of establishing rapport, and luring them away from the site they're on, to another, where some company can make money by persuading them to buy stuff.

pob14

American English
    One reason that we ask for the source of all quotations is that sometimes terms like this are defined within the article or book itself. Where did you find this, Andrew1980?

pob14

American English
    Thanks for the source. I poked around on the site and found various equations for "engagement rate," one of which is:

(Likes + Comments + Shares) / Total fans, all times 100 (to make it a percentage).

(Edited to add: from this page.)

So it means, essentially, the percentage of people who actually do something with a given post; the number of people who comment, or retweet, or something, divided by the number of people who could have seen it.

< Previous | Next >