engagement vs betrothal

< Previous | Next >
Status
Not open for further replies.

jancho

Czech
Hello.

I would like to know which one of those is more suitable for describing a noun meaning an act before a wedding, in which a man and a woman tell to each other that they are interested in themselfs.

I check dictionaries and I have found that engagement has many other not related meanings, while betrothal doesn't.

Is one of them eg more BrE than AE?

Thank you.

Last edited:
  • ewie

English English
    Hello Jancho. Could you give us the sentence you're planning to use the word in?

I'd say engagement is the 'standard' modern English word ~ betrothal is a very old-fashioned alternative.

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    I think I understand what you are asking about, but this sentence is confusing.
    I would like to know which one of those is more suitable for describing a noun meaning an act before a wedding, in which a man and a woman tell to each other that they are interested in themselfs.

Neither is suitable "for describing a noun". Both are nouns. Engagement is not normally used to mean "an act", so much as a state of affairs. The act is often described as becoming engaged.

Please comply with ewie's request for a sample sentence.

jancho

Czech
    Here is an example:

Next week I am going to be in Florida with Jane, because we will have engagement/betrothal ceremony there.

Last edited:

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Your first example is odd. It assumes that an engagement or betrothal involves a ceremony. This is not generally true. The sentence assumes a formal act of becoming engaged or betrothed. This is not at all typical in the modern world. You could use either betrothal or engagement in that sentence, but it will not be idiomatic in either case.

jancho

Czech
    I am not thinking about using one of those two words now. I have just learned them and I am curious to know what is the diference between them.

is it better to say "engagement ring" or "betrothal ring"?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    < Previous | Next >