engarrafado

< Previous | Next >

reka39

Banned
Italian
Hello! I know that, at least in PtB, the word 'engarrafado' is connected to a traffic jam. I would like to ask you if it means that 'my car was stuck in a traffic jam' (estou engarrafado no trânsito) or this is a caracteristic of the traffic jam (o trânsito está engarrafado). Thanks!

• marta12

português
    "Estou num engarrafamento".

"Estou engarrafado no trânsito", nunca ouvi reka, mas não quer dizer que não seja possível.
    Espere por mais opiniões:)

R.SCHULTZ

Portuguese - Brazil
    This not a formal expression. Therefore some variations are accepted.
    "Engarrafamento" means definitely "traffic jam".

You can use these expressions:
    "Estou em um engarrafamento";
    "Estou engarrafado".

It will not sound weird to say "o trânsito está engarrafado".
    However it's preferable to say "o trânsito está parado" or "o trânsito está lento", since the person or the car stuck in the traffic jam is the one "engarrafado".

アエカ

Brazilian Portuguese
    That's funny. I've never heard "estou engarrafado" here in Rio, and I found it a little weird.
    Instead, "o trânsito está engarrafado" and "estou parado no trânsito" sound much more natural.

Frajola

Braz Portuguese
    to my ears:

o trânsito está engarrafado -- natural sounding
    estou num engarrafamento -- natural sounding
    estou engarrafado* -- very odd sounding

my basis of comparison: Sao Paulo dialect

Denis555

Brazilian Portuguese
    I never heard "eu estou engarrafado". It sounds weird.
    Although it's plausible and logical as "R.Schultz" said, the dictionaries of Portuguese (Houaiss, Aurélio, Michaelis) refer only to "trânsito engarrafado", not "eu estou engarrafado", unless you're a sort of a SPEAKING WINE and you say: -Ei, me bebam, eu estou engarrafado aqui! Or, of course, if you're a genius in a bottle: -Eu fui engarrafado aqui mas se você me soltar, eu lhe concederei três desejos! :D

reka39

Banned
    Italian
    Ok, from the replies I can deduce 'engarrafado' is just used in Brazil, while in Portugal they say 'engarrafamento'. Good to know!! Thanks!

reka39

Banned
    Italian
    Hello! Do you confirm that "Apanhar muito trânsito" is the same thing of "Estou num engarrafamento", right? Thank you.

mglenadel

Brazilian Portuguese
    Not really. "Apanhar muito trânsito" means to face heavy traffic: lots of cars, maybe moving fast. "Engarrafamento" means very slow moving or stopped traffic.

About "estar engarrafado", it is used by some in Rio, usually to tell where: "estou engarrafado no Joá" (a particularly jam-prone elevated highway).

< Previous | Next >