England played Germany in the one-eigth final

• Twoflower

UK, English
    I forgot your second question. We don't refer to 1/8th finals. We either say "second round", or whatever round it may be, or we say "last 16".

George French

English - UK
    I forgot your second question. We don't refer to 1/8th finals. We either say "second round", or whatever round it may be, or we say "last 16".
    I"m afraid that many people do.... those search engines out there show many hits for "eight-finals", with or without the hyphen...

I assume you have no problems with the use of semi-final so why not use quarter-final , eight-final or sixteenth-final for a knock-out system?

GF..

sound shift

English - England
    I have never heard a British sports journalist (or a member of the British public) say "eight-final." It doesn't work because "eight" is not a fraction. Neither have I ever heard anyone say "eighth-final"; I have only ever heard "the last sixteen" or "the round of sixteen". English differs from some languages on this point.

Twoflower

UK, English
    I"m afraid that many people do.... those search engines out there show many hits for "eight-finals", with or without the hyphen...

I assume you have no problems with the use of semi-final so why not use quarter-final , eight-final or sixteenth-final for a knock-out system?

GF..
    I have no philosophical objection to "eighth-final", I am merely observing usage. I'm not interested in "Google fights", as they can be misleading (and in any case I'd win!). Did you glance down the list of hits for a reference from Sky, BBC, the Times, Guardian, or other similarly reputable organ? Did you check that it was being used as you describe? There must be many sentences that could include the words "eight" and "final"!

Incidentally, quarter-final is universally used for that stage of a competition, and I can think of no credible alternative.

Spira

Banned
    UK English
    Exactly right, Twoflower.
    Not a single BE speaker would ever refer to an eighth, one eighth or eight final in any context whatsoever. We start using that concept from quarter-finals in. I think it is the same for AE.
    Drives the French mad, who are much more cartesian.
    By the way UEFA, a Swiss organisation masquerading as an international one, has invented its own version in its English-language regulations: "Round of 16", which non-Brits in football circles are starting to take as standard English

< Previous | Next >