English: before entering the digestive system, food enters Instagram

supermarioutd

Persian
Hello to all,

I want to talk about the idea that people share the picture of the food on Instagram before they eat it. I am trying to come up with an interesting and colorful sentence. What do you think about this sentence? :

These days, the social media mania is sweeping the country. Before entering the digestive system, food enters Instagram.

I know I can do much better that this. I need a better verb than "enter". What is a verb I can use here?

I really appreciate all your suggestions about how I can make it better.

• Chasint

English - England
    I think 'enter' is a perfectly good verb here. You could perhaps use "to pass through", e.g.

Before entering the digestive system, your food has to pass through Instagram.

Last edited:

london calling

UK English
    Yes, people let their food go cold so they can post it on Instagram.:D Some restaurants have actually banned people from taking photos...

I have to be honest, I'd probably re-write the sentence, as I can't think of a verb to substitute 'enter' which would make your sentence sound idiomatic.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    I agree with Chasint that a change of verb would be a good idea here - some verbs from the huge range of 'digestive system' class of vocabulary. I can't think of one, let alone two, considering how feeble and bland 'enter' is, but apart from that, even if I could, it would become my writing not yours!

Last edited:

supermarioutd

Persian
    What do you think about this? :

These days, due to people's obsession with social media, food appears on Instagram before it's in the stomach!

supermarioutd

Persian
    I thought the original sentence was fine.
    Your latest sentence removes the entire joke.

Yes. The latest sentence is kind of formal. Chasint has a good suggestion.

But I still think this is a bit unnatural:

These days, the social media mania is sweeping the country. Before entering the digestive system, food enters Instagram.
    or:
    These days, due to people's obsession with social media, food appears on Instagram before entering the digestive system!

<Sequential posts merged by moderator (Florentia52)>

Last edited by a moderator: