English change

< Previous | Next >


Senior Member
I noticed that recently noun + noun are being joined together to have a new meaning instead of the good old ajective + noun.

Eg, 1. Power couples Vs Powerful couples
2. Climate change vs Climatic change.

Please do they have exactly the same meanings?

  • DonnyB

    Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    I can't say I've come across the expression "power couples" so I'm not really in a position to comment on that one. But I'd say there's no significant difference in meaning between the two climate ones.


    Senior Member
    British English

    Please could you clarify your question? There's nothing recent about using nouns to modify nouns. Book-worm has been around since 1600, and the OED has this fine example from 1387
    He hadde a candle stikke i-made by craft of honde so þat þe oyle schulde renne.
    We also expect just one question in a thread, and complete sentences including the word or phrase you are asking about.

    Andygc, moderator.
    < Previous | Next >