english expression meaning "uninvolved"

iyavor

Israel/English
Hi everyone,

I'm racking my brain for an expression to use when you feel like you're completely disconnected from what's going on around you because you can't understand.
The context is a situation in which the character is sitting in his in-laws home, which is located in a foreign country, and the character, because he can't understand a word of being said, feels completely disconnected.
In Hebrew, there's a nice expression for this, which literally translates to "being like a house plant".

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ilan

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Are you looking for "alienated"? "... the character is sitting in his in-laws' home, which is located in a foreign country, and the character, because he can't understand a word of what is being said, feels alienated.

Alienated/to alienate is usually (but not always) used with an object. "His use of drugs alienated him from his friends." / "He was alienated from his friends by his use of drugs." / "As a foreigner in a strange country he felt alienated." etc.

Last edited:

iyavor

Israel/English
    Hi everyone,

Thanks for your suggestions. I really like "a fish out of water"- this probably comes closest to the intended connotation. "Out of place" would work well too.

Thanks again for the suggestions...
    Ilan

< Previous | Next >