English is not like good silver.

ESOR

spanish
what does it mean exactly? i heard about speak silver which means colloquial expressions but still can not understand the meaning of english is not like good silver.

• ESOR

spanish
    actually i dont have the whole context i thought it was an expression. i heard it from a co-worker at an English school.

cyberpedant

English USA, Northeast, NYC
    It seems to be a coinage of your source. It might refer to the fact that silver, in order to retain its shine, needs to be constantly polished.

Last edited:

ESOR

spanish
    in that case English must be like good silver in order to keep its shine, needs to be constantly polished.

cyberpedant

English USA, Northeast, NYC
    English is not like good silver
    It needs to be constantly polished?

Quite the opposite. It does not, in the opinion of your source (with whom I concur), need to be constantly polished—at least not by competent native speakers.

ESOR

spanish
    yes, I know. Thanks anyway. I am new on this so be patient I am a good learner hahahha

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I have another association with good silver: it's something that you don't use everyday, but store and take out only on special occasions. If this is what your co-worker had in mind, the idea is that English should be used daily, and not only on rare occasions, or in class, etc.

Also: Please capitalize the first letter of all your sentences and mark the end with a period (or question mark or exclamation mark).

bibliolept

AE, Español
    I have another association with good silver: it's something that you don't use everyday, but store and take out only on special occasions. If this is what your co-worker had in mind, the idea is that English should be used daily, and not only on rare occasions, or in class, etc.
    Interesting. I wonder if the phrase was "like the good silver."

ESOR

spanish
    Well, I understand the point. The thing is that in a Spanish enviroment is not easy to use English all the time. I do not think this expression has to deal with spanish learners only. It might refer to the use of proper English as you said.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Interesting. I wonder if the phrase was "like the good silver."
    Perhaps it was. It seems to me that either would work. A Google search produces several of examples with a descriptor inserted, such as:
    "In less design-conscious businesses, though, ink-on-paper custom letterhead is used like Mom's good silver: It's only hauled out for special occasions." SOURCE
    At a quick glance, I didn't see any with the definite article. Actually, mothers seem most often the possessors of such silver.

< Previous | Next >