English is something that I know about/of

Hi guys, I know these 2 words have like, a slight difference in meaning but they go "the same way" in case you don't know what I mean, well, look at this:
1-That's something that I've heard of: It means you only know about its existance
2-That's something that I've heard about: This one means that your knowledge about something is a bit deeper.

So, this 2nd phrase may not be usual, but, for example I want to say I know a lot of english, then I guess I could say: "English is something that I know about" and in this case "of" wouldn't fit in, am I right?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Mexico RV'er

English - USA
    Neither of the two works if what you are trying to say is that you know how to speak (read, understand) English. To say you know "of" English, is like saying you know of its existence. To say you know "about" it is like saying you have information such as where it is spoken, or perhaps its history. Neither implies you can actually use it. So if what you are trying to convey is that you are able to use English, you would simply say "I know English," or better yet, "I speak English.

< Previous | Next >