English names: Bingley Lydia& Bennet

< Previous | Next >

eclectic

WU-CHINESE
I'm not sure about the pronunciations of some English names, because Englishmen say them in a little different way,I think. My pronunciations:

Bingley: Bing-li, "i" is betwen the short "i" and long "i".
Lydia: lie-dia
Bennet: be-nit

Are they correct? Thank you.

• natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Are you reading Pride and Prejudice? I'm not sure if I've interpreted your respellings correctly. Yes, the last vowel in 'Bingly' is like the ending of 'happy', and many have a vowel between a short and long i. The first syllable of Lydia has a short vowel as in lid or bid.

If you read IPA, the three are: /ˈbɪŋlɪ/, /ˈlɪdɪə/ and /ˈbenɪt/.
    If not: BING-li, LID-dyuh, BEN-it

eclectic

WU-CHINESE
    Are you reading Pride and Prejudice? I'm not sure if I've interpreted your respellings correctly. Yes, the last vowel in 'Bingly' is like the ending of 'happy', and many have a vowel between a short and long i. The first syllable of Lydia has a short vowel as in lid or bid.

If you read IPA, the three are: /ˈbɪŋlɪ/, /ˈlɪdɪə/ and /ˈbenɪt/.
    If not: BING-li, LID-dyuh, BEN-it
    Yeah, I'm re-reading Jane Austen's books. Back to the topic, I use IPA for not confusing others, "Bingley" should be /biŋ g lɪ/, that's the pronunciation I heard from some British guy.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Yeah, I'm re-reading Jane Austen's books. Back to the topic, I use IPA for not confusing others, "Bingley" should be /biŋ g lɪ/, that's the pronunciation I heard from some British guy.
    That's interesting, because I've only ever heard /'bɪŋlɪ/ (like the ending of 'swimmingly') rather than /'bɪŋglɪ/ (to rhyme with 'singly'). There are some Northern British accents that always have the /g/ so that 'singer' is /'sɪŋgə/ rather than /'sɪŋə/.

You can hear the pronunciation in howjsay.com.

< Previous | Next >