English quiz

< Previous | Next >

Utah777

Japanese
hi, all! I have a question about a quiz one of my students has emcountered during her exam. It is to organaize choices given in order to make a correct sentence. But it is really a puzzling one...

A: I would like to go to Misakiguchi.
Please tell me which bus I shoud take to get there.

B: ( to / a bus / the / which / goes / is / who ) Misakiguchi.

We have to decide one word not to use to make a complete sentence. Could anyone help me to make one? I have no idea.

Thanks in advance.

• Utah777

Japanese
    Hmm, I suppose it has to be an answer to the question A asks; the period/full stop at the end also suggests that.
    I started with "A bus which goes..." but :p.

Does "Misakiguchi" have to be the last word, as suggested?
    Thanks.
    Yes, Misakiguchi is a proper name and placed last as it is.

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    "That is a bus which goes to Misakiguchi" is not a suitable answer for B to give to A.

However, the supposition "if the were that" is not easily dismissed by "but it isn't", because it seems clear that the whole quiz question is somehow faulty, and needs to be repaired. Saying "if the were that" is one possible repair.
    Let's start with what the obvious answer should be: "Take the bus that goes to M". Or, if a noun phrase is acceptable instead of a full sentence, just remove "take".
    So for starters, "a bus" is a mistake in the quiz and should be just "bus".
    Although it's stylistically frowned upon, we could conceivably replace "that" in our model answer with "which".
    That leaves two words that should not appear in the reply, namely "is" and "who". Again, it could be that the inclusion of the "is" option is a mistake.

We really could do with more context to tell us what aspect of English is likely to be the one they are trying to test. It seems probable that "who" is the expected answer, because it may be trying to make the point that we don't usually personify buses, and so we don't refer to them using "who"; we use "that" or, at a pinch, "which".

It's disappointing, though, that the quiz question has so much wrong with it.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    hi, all! I have a question about a quiz one of my students has emcountered during her exam. It is to organaize choices given in order to make a correct sentence. But it is really a puzzling one...

Please tell me which bus I shoud take to get there.

B: ( to / a bus / the / which / goes / is / who ) Misakiguchi.

We have to decide one word not to use to make a complete sentence. Could anyone help me to make one? I have no idea.

Thanks in advance.
    Looks like we need some information about who set the exam so we can write and tell them they are not teaching English correctly:(

DaylightDelight

Japanese - Tokyo
    What do you mean by that?
    DailyDelight appears to be Japanese and probably feels he shouldn't make an error about a place name that is familiar. It would be like me seeing San Francisco and then writing San Antonio.:)
    RedwoodGrove is right. I'm ashamed (and a little surprised) that I wrote Mizuguchi instead of Misakiguchi even though I myself have been there once or twice.;)

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    You may omit "bus":

Please tell me which bus I should take to get there.

B: ( to / a bus / the / which / goes / is / who ) Misakiguchi. <- this should read ( to / a bus / the / which / goes / is / who / Misakiguchi.)

The second misprint is a bus -> 'a' does not appear in (what seems to be, but is not) A's sentences.

The third misprint is that A and B have been used: this makes it seem as if A and B are speaking to each other - in fact A and B simply mark the separate parts of the question.

< Previous | Next >