English teacher or teacher of English?

< Previous | Next >

argentina84

Argentina Spanish
Sorry if it is a silly question, but sometimes we take some things for granted and when we start analizing them some doubts arise.

I used to say that teachers who teach English were English teachers ( like History/Maths/Biology teachers), but this is rather confusing, and I wanna know the right expression.

To me, the correct one is Teacher of English because if I say I am an English teacher I am saying that I am a teacher from England, aren't I?

Can anyone help me?

• sunkitty

USA English
    English teacher is the common usage. I would not interpret that as "British teacher". Teacher of English is a little wordy to me.

Edit: If you say English teacher putting heavy stress on the word "teacher", it might come across as "teacher who is English/British", but I don't think many people would say it like that.

Klystron29

Guernsey, GB English
    Hola argentina,
    You are quite correct in what you say. However, some of those who use the English language incorrectly are native English speakers like myself. It is quite normal in "everyday English" to say a person is an English Teacher, a Math's Teacher or a History Teacher. As long as you are aware of the context you will know what the speaker is meaning to say.
    Regards.
    PS We don't say "wanna", we say "want to.........". In BE anyway. Jajaja!

argentina84

Argentina Spanish
    PS We don't say "wanna", we say "want to.........". In BE anyway. Jajaja!
    Oh Sorry!:eek: And thanks for the explanation!

The fact is that I don't want to pretend I am English when I am not! <<--->>
    I will say from now on : "English teacher from Argentina" ;)

Regards!

Last edited by a moderator:
    < Previous | Next >