English test online 2

< Previous | Next >

Eugens

Argentina Spanish
Are there special rules for writing the numbers? Because I found this:

Now, this test will have about 30 questions. Should I have written 30 as a numeral, or written "thirty"?
1.never write numerals, always use the word
2.the rules are variable, but you got it right
3.you should have written 30 because it's <51

• VenusEnvy

English, United States
    Eugens said:
    Are there special rules for writing the numbers? Because I found this:

Now, this test will have about 30 questions. Should I have written 30 as a numeral, or written "thirty"?
    1.never write numerals, always use the word
    3.you should have written 30 because it's <51
    These look like reasons/explanations as to why you got them wrong.

What were the questions, and what were your answers?? .....

lauranazario

Moderatrix
    Español puertorriqueño & US English
    Since this inquiry deals with English-language usage and grammar, I'll transfer this thread to the English-Only forum.
    LN

Eugens

Argentina Spanish
    The question has three possible answers, the ones that are enumerated there, one of them is the correct one, the others are wrong.
    :)o sorry, I didn't realise that I have posted it in the wrong place)

foxfirebrand

Southern AE greatly modified by a 1st-generation Scottish-American mother, and growing up abroad.
    I would say I spent ten minutes at 10 Downing Street. And played twenty questions while trying to drink an insipid 20-proof cordial without making a face. I don't think there's a real rule about this.

It suits me to write out one-word numbers like fifteen and eighty, and enumerate numbers like 88 and 1500. If the cutoff point you learned was between nine and 10, a one-digit logic seems to be in effect. But a one-word logic works as well for me.

I can't see "correcting" someone for spelling numbers that "should be" enumerated, or vice-versa.

"His arrest record shows a hundred and twelve burglaries!" A stylistic choice for emphasis-- both the spelling out, the font change, and the insertion of the technically-incorrect and. Wrong, but creatively so.

Yes, I said "both the" and then enumerated three things. Of such gaffes are Monty Python sketches born.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    jess oh seven said:
    i was always taught only to write out numbers under 10, and to use the numerals for 10+.
    Me too - well not always - I found this rule long after I had passed through the teaching bit:eek:

I think it is a "house rule" rather than an absolute language rule.

Like jess07, I would always write in full numbers up to ten, or should that be up to 10 - I've forgotten:eek: Above that, I use numerals, except when it is simply daft - when the context really cries for twenty, thirty, forty.... or seventy-six (trombones).

There are, of course, exceptions. I can't refer to Section one of the report. That has to be Section 1 (unless the report actually calls it Section One - could happen).

Now, what was the question?
    Ah yes, I see.
    The really correct answer, in my opinion, is a variation of:

"The rules are variable and because I don't know the rules for this examination-setting body I can't answer."

Eugens

Argentina Spanish
    panjandrum said:
    "The rules are variable and because I don't know the rules for this examination-setting body I can't answer."
    Yes, panjandrum, I agree with you. And I think that the guy who made this test is super picky!:p

LeeT911

Canadian English/French
    Some things to keep in mind (at least, that I've learned)

1) A number starting off a sentence should always be spelled out.

2) When you have two numbers immediately follow one another, spell out one and use a numeral for the other. EX: 2 five-man teams

3) When writing a technical document (product specifications or something of the sort where numbers occur frequently) it's generally acceptable to use numerals everywhere (except at the beginning of sentences).

< Previous | Next >