enjoin nocturnal shouts

< Previous | Next >

kahroba

Persian
Dear all
Please advise if "enjoin" in the following context, taken from Newsreel LX, in "The Big Money" by Dos Passos, means "forbid" or "complain" or what else:
APE TRIAL GOAT TO CONFER WITH ATTORNEYS
NEIGHBORS ENJOIN NOCTURNAL SHOUTS IN TURKISH BATH
ALL CITY POLICE TURN OUT IN BANDIT HUNT
CONGOLEUM BREAK FEATURES OPENING

• panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    From vague rememberings and the context, I think it means that the neighbours have managed to secure some kind of legal instrument that forbids shouting at night in the turkish bath.

JamesM

An enjoinder is a legal document that forbids a certain action or activity, as far as I know. I wonder if the word was also chosen because it is close in sound to "enjoying".

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Dear Karoba,

I think it probably mean issue an injunction against. In other words the neighbours, disturbed by the shouts coming at night from the Turkish Baths, made a complaint, and took formal legal action to prevent the nuisance.

kahroba

Persian
    Thank you dear all; yes, it means they have had an injunction issued.
    Edit: and yes, dear jamesM, it's Dos Passos and he's playing with words all the time and there's usually more than one concept to his words

Last edited:

kahroba

Persian
    I'm confused. If you knew this already, why did you ask the question? I'm just curious.
    I didn't say dear JamesM that it was crystal clear for me in advance. I'm a lawyer myself and I'm familiar with the term "injuntion" but the word "enjoin" did not imply that concept directly. Your comments just cleared my doubts. Anything wrong with it?

JamesM

No, not at all. I was just curious. I can see that "enjoin" and "injunction" may not be an obvious pair. It would help, though, to add as part of the background that "they have had an injunction issued." Then it would be clear that the question is about the relationship between "enjoin" and "injunction".

< Previous | Next >