enjoy the musical styling of X

parbr2

UK English
Bonjour,

Just wondering how to express the following into French:
Dance the night away as you enjoy the musical styling of the XXX band.

My attempt:
Dansez toute la soirée au son des talents musicaux du groupe xxx.

I am not sure if it should be the musical stylings of the XXX band, and also would appreciate any other advice or suggestions on improving my sentence.

Merci beaucoup d'avance.

• bing181

English (Australian)
    "musical styling". They don't mean "musically stylish xxx band". Or even something else ....?

Not sure about translations sometimes, but so much of the source text that crops up on here is, leaves, ahem, a little to be desired ...

parbr2

UK English
    It is quite normal to use "musical styling" (or stylings) in formal programs (eg for conferences) to describe bands or groups.

bing181

English (Australian)
    I don't know if you could go to far as to describe it as "quite normal". I've spent my life working in and with bands, and it's an expression I've never heard. Perhaps I've been mixing with the wrong crowd. Interesting.

As for the original question, perhaps then something like "l'ambiance musicale de" or "aux ambiances musicales de ..."

parbr2

UK English
    Merci Kelly,

Peut être je pourrai mettre

Dansez toute la soirée au son des interprétations musicales du groupe xxx.

Nicomon

Français, Québec ♀
    I assume that interprétations musicales could work, but I find it a bit "heavy".
    I personally would leave out stylings and I'm not sure that I would translate band either.

Suggestion : Dansez jusqu'à l'aube, au rythme + adjectif (entraînant? endiablé? frénétique?) de la musique des xxx / du groupe xxx.

misterk

English-American
    Confirming what Kelly B wrote above. The common phrase (in AE) is "the musical stylings of..." This was very common language for radio announcers in the 1930s who were introducing musical numbers by the "big bands" of the era. Let's enjoy the musical stylings of the Benny Goodman Orchestra, with their rendition of "Sing, Sing, Sing." (I wouldn't expect to hear anyone talk about the musical stylings of a rock group...) And yes, the term does mean "interpretations" -- the group's particular way of playing a song.

Edit: I think Nicomon's suggestion is elegant.

parbr2

UK English
    Merci beaucoup,

I think I will go for something like: Dansez toute la soirée au rythme entraînant de la musique du groupe XXX

I think that "dansez jusqu'à l'aube" is more like dance until dawn (not the message that needs to be conveyed).

:D

Nicomon

Français, Québec ♀
    Fine by me. I suggested « jusqu'à l'aube » because "toute la soirée" sounded to me like "all evening long".

I obviously misinterpreted your "dance the night away". :D

Last edited:

parbr2

UK English
    Merci Nicomon et pointvirgule - oui justement l'anglais a été embelli par l'expression "musical stylings" car on peut simplement dire : Dance to the music of XXX group, donc c'est juste de rajouter un peu en français. :cool:

< Previous | Next >