Enough about me, but nothing about you just yet

< Previous | Next >

Lenusia

Russian - Ukraine
I'm seeking for the best translation of this phrase Enough about me, but nothing
about you just yet

Cartoonist Joe Dator did a variation on the diva joke for New
Yorker magazine. In the sketch, a man is speaking to a woman seated
across a table. The caption reads, “Enough about me, but nothing
about you just yet

Could you paraphrase it for clear understanding?

• sirupas

Lithuanian
    I'd say it's a word play joke. "Enough about me" is a polite thing to say, but ironically, usually it's used by people who won't let you say a word anyway, and so "nothing about you just yet" means just that- the polite thing is said, but it doesn't mean that you will be allowed to contribute to conversation.

Lenusia

Russian - Ukraine
    There’s an old joke about the opera diva who receives an adoring fan
    in her dressing room after a performance. The diva goes on and on
    about how magnificently she sang her arias, about her dramatic acting,
    her expressive gestures, and her fabulous costumes. After about
    half an hour, the diva says to the fan, “But enough about me, what did
    you think of my performance?”

sirupas, I understand what you mean but I have some difficulties with a brief and exact interpretation. Can I paraphrase a man like this: Enough about me but probably you have nothing more to tell.

pob14

American English
    You need to know the usual phrase, which is: "Enough about me, now what about you?" It's used when someone realizes they have been talking too much about themselves, and invite the other person to talk about their situation.

In the joke versions, people say "Enough about me," but then do something to continue the discussion of themselves. The diva version invites the fan to continue to talk about the diva. The cartoon is even more direct. "I've talked enough about myself, but I'm not interested in you, so let's not talk about you."

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    ^:D Lenusia's joke certainly seems to be the source of the cartoon, which can be seen at http://imgc.allpostersimages.com/im...ing-about-you-just-yet-new-yorker-cartoon.jpg

As per Lenusia's post, the man seems to think that he is the most interesting and important person in the world and is so satisfied by what he has just said that he does not want the woman (who looks angry) to ruin the atmosphere he has created by speaking about something as boring as herself.

Enough about me, but nothing about you just yet."= "Well, I have told you how wonderful I am, so let us continue the conversation but please do start talking about yourself."

exgerman

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    Enough about me, but nothing about you just yet."= "Well, I have told you how wonderful I am, so let us continue the conversation but please do start talking about yourself."
    I thinkl you mean "please do NOT start talking about yourself just yet"

< Previous | Next >