Enough already about the dress

NotNow

English
My boyfriend keeps making feeble jokes about a wedding dress. I want him to stop. May I say, już wystarczy tej sukienki? I have a feeling that this is not correct. Can someone please give me advice about the correct use of wystarczy?

Thanks.

• wolfbm1

Polish
    Hello.
    Are you trying to translate into Polish the question "Will this dress do?" - "Czy ta suknia będzie dobra?"

The question "już wystarczy tej sukienki?" means "will it be enough of this dress?" and sounds strange in the context of your query.

NotNow

English
    I apologize. I'm trying to say, "Enough already about the dress" or something to that effect.

dreamlike

Polish
    Hello NotNow,

You mean that you have heard this feeble joke so many times that it's no longer funny and your boyfriend is getting on your nerves by constantly repeating it, right? If that's the case, and I'm pretty sure it is, the most idiomatic way of telling him to stop would be "Skończ już z tą sukienką" (note that it may sound quite blunt). At least that's what I say and hear people say when they're fed up with worn-out jokes.

If, for some reason, you want to use the word "wystarczy", then I suggest that you say "Wystarczy już tych żartów o sukience". It's a more polite version.

Last edited:

wolfbm1

Polish
    To soften it a bit you could say: 'Skończ już, proszę/skarbie/Jureczku, z tą sukienką.'
    You can also change the topic and say: Może porozmawiamy o twoim garniturze, albo o twoich butach?

NotNow

English
    Thank you both very much. Dreamlike, your interpretation of the situation is very accurate. I tend to be very blunt when I'm talking to him.

Thanks again.

< Previous | Next >