enough/then some

< Previous | Next >

Ricardinho

English
If someone asks in English, do you have enough, the answer can be "yes, and then some". Do these combinations work to mean the same thing?
1. P: Basto o dinheiro? R: Basta sim, e sobra.
2. P: Tem bastante? R: Tem, e tem sobrante.

Also, related to this, how would you say "I have more than enough"?
1. P: Tem bastante? R: Tenho mais que bastante.
2. "" R: Sobra mais que bastante.

• patriota

pt-BR
    Remember that bastante also means "very" or "much." You need to preceed it with the article to mean "enough": o bastante.

Você tem bastante x? = Do you have a lot of x?
    Tem o bastante/o suficiente [para viajar/comprar algo etc.]? = Do you have enough [money] to [go on a trip/buy something etc.]?

The verb bastar ("O dinheiro basta? Sim, basta") is acceptable, but I feel that suficiente is more usual than bastante in these cases in Brazil. Informally asking someone if the money "dá" is even more common:

— O dinheiro dá?
    — Dá e sobra. / Dá, e sobra troco!

Since bastante has those other meanings, this word alone is enough to say that you "have more than enough." If you say "tenho bastante x, " people will instantly assume that you have more than the bare minimum of x. For example, "tenho bastante dinheiro" = "I'm a wealthy person." However, if you don't really have that much, here are some other possibilities:

• Já tenho o suficiente para viajar. Tenho mais [ferramentas/comida/etc.] do que preciso. Tenho mais que o necessário [para viver/para viajar/etc.]. Tenho mais jogos do que posso jogar.

On the other hand, if you really have plenty of x, you can say that you "tem pra dar e vender." :D

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >