Enough to cobble dogs with

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Ksawerymoroset, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Ksawerymoroset New Member

Spanish - Spain
    Hi guys!

I've just stumbled upon this sentence "we've got enough coffee to cobble dogs with", which I've come to know means "we've got plenty of coffee, a surplus of coffee". I was wondering if this is a common phrase nowadays and whether it's rather coloquial (do young people use it?). If so, could this be translated as "teníamos suficiente café como para parar un tren"?

Thanks for your help!

2. sound shift

sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    Hello,

I haven't heard it, but that doesn't mean much, because this type of expression reflects fashion, regional variation, the age of the speaker, etc. Out of interest: Where was this sentence used?

3. Ksawerymoroset New Member

Spanish - Spain
    Thanks for your response sound shift.

There's this page on Facebook where they post common idioms in English every now and again and a few days ago they posted the one I'm asking about. If you haven't heard it, then I'm pretty sure it's rather old-fashioned. I'll keep an eye on this thread in case you're right and it's more of a regional phrase.

Cheers!

4. sound shift

sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    Google provides some evidence that it's used in the north of the English county of Lincolnshire.

5. Ksawerymoroset New Member

Spanish - Spain
    If it's only used in a specific county of England and not all native speakers in England know what it means, then I don't think it's worth trying to learn. Thanks for the info!

6. lincsborn yorks adopted

lincsborn yorks adopted New Member

english
    Hi. The phrase is one used in a very small area of Lincolnshire and is rather old fashioned. Not many people of my generation (none I know) use this. My grandparents in there 80s use the phrase but not much younger people. I use this phrase, as I would hate to see it die out.

My grandmother told me the original reason for the phrase. Years and years ago roads were made of cobblestone, however in the late 1800s these roads were replaced with flatter surfaces which made it easier for horse and carts to travel. In northern Lincolnshire there was an excess of cobblestones stored and people joked they would have to cobble anything to use up the stone. Hence the saying was born.