Enquirer - Potential Purchaser

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Cotomelon, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Cotomelon Senior Member

Trento, Italy
    Italian
    Hello all,

I would like some help, please.

How would you call, in an informal context, an "enquirer" or "potential purchaser"? I understand the two terms above are very formal.

Let's give an example about the context I would use this word: a person submits an enquiry through a web form or sends an email enquiring about some costs. I need to say to my boss: "An enquirer has got in touch". How can I say that in a non-formal word?

I'm afraid I don't have many suggestions here. I sometimes use the word "client", but it is not right. Or I simply say "somebody". Can anyone suggest anything different?

Thanks.

Cotomelon

2. bibliolept

bibliolept Senior Member

Northern California
    AE, Español
    Informally, in my line of business, I would say that we have an information request or a request for an estimate. You could simply say that they are potential clients.

3. ColinForhan Senior Member

English - American
    It's also very common to use the term "potential client"

4. Cotomelon Senior Member

Trento, Italy
    Italian
    Thank you all for your replies . I thought that there could be more slang and informal words for "potential clients", but as I can see there are not!

Again, thank you. I really appreciate your help.

All the best,

C.

5. e2efour

e2efour Senior Member

England (aged 76)
    UK English
    A potential customer is often referred to as a prospect, although you (or a salesperson) usually contact a prospect than the other way round, as I understand the term.
    It is a marketing term, however.