enseñar a los demás lo que sabes

jos.dan

Spanish (Guatemala)
Hello everyone!

I'm writing a text in English about being a Spanish tutor. There's a sentence which I'm still not completely sure how to translate.

Decidí convertirme en un tutor porque pienso que la mejor forma de aprender sobre el mundo es enseñar a los demás lo que sabes.
I decided to become a tutor because I think the best way to learn about the world is teaching other people (about) what you know.

What I'm not sure about is whether one should use "about" or not. For me it sounds better without it, but I'm not 100% sure.

Thank you in advance!

• The Newt

English - US
    Creo que yo diría "...is by teaching other people what you [yourself] know" (sin "about").

"Yourself" isn't required but it might sound good there.

gengo

American English
    Decidí convertirme en un tutor porque pienso que la mejor forma de aprender sobre el mundo es enseñar a los demás lo que sabes.
    I decided to become a tutor because I think the best way to learn about the world is teaching other people (about) what you know.

I agree that it sounds better with "by" and without "about," although your version is not incorrect.

Note that in English, a tutor usually has only one student at a time. Is that what you mean here? Otherwise, if you have more than one student in a class, "teacher" is the better word.

It is very true that teaching is a great way to learn, because it forces you to think about the subject very thoroughly.

Chasint

English - England
    This is ancient wisdom!

Docendo discitur: You learn by teaching

Roman philosopher Seneca born in Cordoba in Hispania 4 BC , and raised in Rome.

Last edited:

Coffeemachtspass

English - U.S.
    What I'm not sure about is whether one should use "about" or not.

To my mind, one teaches about a specific entity or recognized body of knowledge by outlining the theoretical framework, not the specific and detailed knowledge contained within them.

Teach me about Seneca, Chasint! [dates, ideas, historical record, suicide]
    Teach me about teaching, Gengo! [theories, paradigms, concepts]

It seems patently different to me to say:
    Teach me geography. [Learn these mountain ranges, names of countries, borders, language families, etc.]
    Teach me about geography. [theories, map projections, cultural patterns]

elroy

Imperfect mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    I would use an infinitive: "is to teach...".
    You can avoid the "about" issue by rewording: "is to share your knowledge."