enseignement supérieur en droit

Celine999

Senior Member
French
en anglais, ce serait "Superior law teaching" ou "law superior teaching"?
none of the combinations I tried above seems to exist on the net although I find separately on the Internet: "superior teaching" or "law teaching" how would you combine them

in advance, par avance, merci
 
  • polaire

    Senior Member
    English, United States
    Celine999 said:
    en anglais, ce serait "Superior law teaching" ou "law superior teaching"?
    none of the combinations I tried above seems to exist on the net although I find separately on the Internet: "superior teaching" or "law teaching" how would you combine them

    in advance, par avance, merci


    There's no context, but could it possibly be "Advanced legal instruction" or "Advanced-level legal instruction"?

    Hope this helps.
     

    Celine999

    Senior Member
    French
    It was "agrege d'enseignement superieur en droit" talking about the function an applicant has to have been carrying out to be admissible for a certain position

    (sorry my kboard does not take the accents at the moment)
     

    Kelly B

    Curmodgeratrice
    USA English
    Granddictionnaire propose "associate professor" pour agrégé, soit professeur adjoint. Si c'est correcte, je dirais
    Associate Professor of Law
    Je pense que enseignement superieur soit superflu en anglais américain, car la loi n'est enseigné qu'en cadre d'enseignement supérieur.
    Il faudrait attendre des autres idées.
     

    polaire

    Senior Member
    English, United States
    Celine999 said:
    It was "agrege d'enseignement superieur en droit" talking about the function an applicant has to have been carrying out to be admissible for a certain position

    (sorry my kboard does not take the accents at the moment)

    I skimmed the French Wikipedia article on Agrégation, see excerpts below. (I would post the hypertext link, but I'm not allowed to, owing to my lowly junior member posting status.) :)

    In English I think we'd translate what you've described as something like a requirement of an "advanced degree/certification in law/legal studies." The problem is that "agrégé" is a term of art used in the French educational system.

    Hope this helps a little bit. I supplied the emphasis below.

    Does anyone know how to say (Emphasis added/supplied) in French?


    "Les agrégations permettent donc d'enseigner dans le secondaire et dans les premiers niveaux du supérieur. Dans tous les cas, y compris pour les professeurs du secondaire, l'obtention du concours confère le titre d'Agrégé de l'Université.

    . . .

    Il ne faut pas confondre l'Agrégation de l'Université avec les agrégations des facultés. Ces dernières, comme l'agrégation de droit privé, de droit public, de sciences politiques, d'économie, de gestion, permettent aux titulaires d'un doctorat de devenir sur concours directement professeurs des universités."
     

    polaire

    Senior Member
    English, United States
    Kelly B said:
    Granddictionnaire propose "associate professor" pour agrégé, soit professeur adjoint. Si c'est correcte, je dirais
    Associate Professor of Law
    Je pense que enseignement superieur soit superflu en anglais américain, car la loi n'est enseigné qu'en cadre d'enseignement supérieur.
    Il faudrait attendre des autres idées.
    Well, it's true that law is taught primarily at the graduate school level in America. The degree is Juris Doctor (J.D.). But advanced legal degrees do exist, such as M.S. (Master of Science?) of law. A J.D. is usually all that is required to teach in an American law school, however.

    And someone should correct me if I'm wrong but I think in this case it would be "car la droit." La droit is used for law in the general or abstact sense, e.g., "Faculté de droit."
     
    Top