entering six-year-old children just kindergarten could not differentiate between foreseeable

sb70012

Azerbaijani/Persian
Error Recognition: If you find all words correct, select [No Error], but if a word is incorrect, select the wrong word.

Darley observed that among acts involving unintentional harm, entering six-year-old children just kindergarten could not differentiate between foreseeable, and thus preventable, harm and unforeseeable harm for which the perpetrator cannot be blamed. No Error.

A. Darley observed that among acts involving unintentional harm
B. entering six-year-old children just kindergarten could not differentiate between foreseeable, and thus preventable, harm (Answer)
C. and unforeseeable harm for which the perpetrator cannot be blamed
D. No Error

Source: university exam in Iran (I think it's taken from GRE books too.)

Hello,
What's wrong with the blue part (option C)? It's so subtle. I can not find the error.:mad:
I think we need a preposition. But not sure.:mad:

Any guidance?

Thank you.

• RedwoodGrove

English, USA
    First of all, the instructions themselves are wrong.
    but if a word is incorrect, select the wrong word.
    It's not one word that is incorrect, it's the combination. The answers offered are several words. (?)

I can't really make sense out of the section identified in B. Perhaps others here can help. This is the part I have trouble with: "entering six-year-old children just kindergarten".

Szkot

UK English
    'Six-year old children just entering kindergarten' would make sense.

It seems a strange way of testing English to jumble up words and ask people to rearrange them.

Vovan

Russian
    Probably, the scientist studied those kids who, for some reason, started kindergarten later than their contemporaries. Having no experience in kindergarten social interaction, the kids proved unable to pass the researcher's test and tell if "harm was foreseeable".

Truffula

English - USA
    Redwood Grove and Szkot have landed on the correct answer. The "error" in the blue highlighted part of the sentence is the order of the words " entering six-year-old children just kindergarten" and the order Szkot suggests is the right way to re-order them to fix it.

The fact that usually six-year-old children are not just entering kindergarten is not grammatical or linguistic, so I think it's a bit of a red herring, but it's there also as Myridon says.

Linkway

British English
    What's wrong with the blue part (option C)? It's so subtle. I can not find the error.
    Darley observed that among acts involving unintentional harm, entering six-year-old children just kindergarten could not differentiate between foreseeable, and thus preventable, harm and unforeseeable harm for which the perpetrator cannot be blamed.
    The text in the OP is a misquote. It should be:

Darley observed that among acts involving unintentional harm, six-year-old children just entering kindergarten could not differentiate between foreseeable, and thus preventable, harm and unforeseeable harm for which the perpetrator cannot be blamed.

See: According to the passage, Darley found that after seven months of kindergarten six year olds acquired which of the following abilities?_阅读_GRE_考满分

Not only does that "make sense" as Szkot observed, it also confirms that "B" is not a well-formed fragment ie it locates where the error is.

I don't know why the OP shows "No error" with the misquote.

"B" is definitely the "right answer" ie it identifies the location of the error.

pob14

American English
    I think that's an artifact of the way those questions are written; I think the ACT does the same thing. Since "no error" is one of the choices, it's printed alongside each sentence. It's a little more obvious when you see them printed, since it's at the end of every sentence. On the page it would look sort of like this:

Pigs is cute. No error.
    .A....B...C........D

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    The text in the OP is a misquote. It should be:

Darley observed that among acts involving unintentional harm, six-year-old children just entering kindergarten could not differentiate between foreseeable, and thus preventable, harm and unforeseeable harm for which the perpetrator cannot be blamed.

See: According to the passage, Darley found that after seven months of kindergarten six year olds acquired which of the following abilities?_阅读_GRE_考满分

Not only does that "make sense" as Szkot observed, it also confirms that "B" is not a well-formed fragment ie it locates where the error is.

"B" is definitely the "right answer" ie it identifies the location of the error.
    The text in the OP is a deliberate misquote. In the link you found, the original correct text is presented as a comprehension excercise. For the OP's quote, the test makers have taken that text and deliberately rearranged it. It's not longer a comprehension test but a word order/error test. ( This has been the case on at least one previous question like this from the OP...)

< Previous | Next >