entertain ( to show hospitality)

valdemar

Español mexicano
Hello, there!! I wonder how you normally use the verb "entertain" in the sense of "showing hospitality". Can I say for example "This weekend I spend it entertaining my friends from the US". What about "I'm always entertained by my mom when I go by". Finally, can I say for example "I would like to entertain my friends this weekend" or " I would like to entertain you this weekend" in the sense of making an invitation to come over. Thank you for your comments.

• The Newt

English - US
    "I spent this weekend entertaining my friends from the US." :tick:

"I'm always entertained by my mom when I go by". — What do you mean by "go by"?

The last two are fine grammatically but they could be ambiguous, because "to entertain" can mean either "to host" or "to amuse."

"I would like to entertain my friends this weekend."
    "I would like to entertain you this weekend."

kentix

English - U.S.
    Entertain is a little more formal than casual. You wouldn't generally entertain your closest friends and your mother wouldn't entertain you at all. :)
    Normally you would "entertain" co-workers or groups of less close friends and acquaintances.

You might use "entertain" in describing hosting people at a dinner party. You probably wouldn't use the word entertain if you were having a backyard cookout.

"I would like to entertain my friends this weekend." It would probably be more common to say, "I want to have my friends over (to my house) this weekend."
    "I would like to entertain you this weekend."
    Depending on the context, this might have sexual overtones.

All my answers are based on AE.

Last edited:

The Newt

English - US
    Entertain is a little more formal than casual. You wouldn't generally entertain your closest friends and your mother wouldn't entertain you at all. :)
    [...].
    Unless she tells really good jokes.

I agree with everything kentix has said above. "Entertain" can be a slippery word, so whether it will work depends on the exact context.

< Previous | Next >