entertain

AskLang

Filipino
If it's Sunday and the lineman calls up your house to say they will conduct an inspection, can you answer back by saying -

It's Sunday and there's no one to entertain you today.

to mean that there is no one to assist them or something? We normally usually use this word tho I'm not sure now if it's correct.

Thanks very much.

• Copyright

American English
    I think this is a wildly amusing way to use entertain -- I'm going to imagine that our mariachi band has the afternoon off and therefore the telephone man will have to do his work unamused.

That's the long way of saying no, we wouldn't use this -- but I can understand your confusion since we do use entertain to mean something similar in other contexts.

What is this person doing for you? They usually don't require assistance, only access -- and if you don't want to give them access, you have two choices: 1) I'm sorry but no one will be home, or 2) I'm sorry but it's Sunday and we would not like to be disturbed. Can we reschedule?

AskLang

Filipino
    They will somehow need to be attended to and I just want to know if there is any other word. But on second thoughts, I think it can be 'attend to' if there is nothing else. I also appreciate your suggestions.

Copyright

American English
    Perhaps you can just say that it won't be convenient. What I was concerned about it that all someone has to do is open the door and then accompany them so they don't steal the silver -- but it's hard to say that someone can't do this simple task if someone really is at home. Saying it's not convenient and offering to reschedule is a little better (for me).

In declining requests, we often think that we have to give detailed reasons -- when all we really have to do is say a polite No.

< Previous | Next >