enthusiastic or enthusiast

aneg13

Banned
Portuguese
It all started in 1997, when Phillip Shaw, a mountaineering enthusiastic or enthusiast from Leicester...

Think it is enthusiast , because i e«understand that means that is someone intrested in somethig... am i thinking ok...?
----

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Esca

ATX
    USA - English
    You're right, Aneg13: an enthusiast (noun) is a person who is interested and enthusiastic (adjective) about something.

Snowflk

French
    Hi people,

Would you say "Enthusiastic about environmental issues, I am interested in..." or "Enthusiast about..." ?

I would go for the 1st one but I am not sure... thanks !

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Hello, Snowfik.

Welcome to the forum. :)

Enthusiastic is an adjective, so you might say, "I am enthusiastic about environmental issues ....."
    Enthusiast
    is a noun, so you might say something like "I am an enthusiast regarding environmental issue ....."

It is difficult to say which wording would be more suitable without a complete sentence. What is the sentence you are thinking of?

Snowflk

French
    Hello, Snowfik.

Welcome to the forum. :)

Enthusiastic is an adjective, so you might say, "I am enthusiastic about environmental issues ....."
    Enthusiast
    is a noun, so you might say something like "I am an enthusiast regarding environmental issue ....."

It is difficult to say which wording would be more suitable without a complete sentence. What is the sentence you are thinking of?
    Hi Cagey,

It is a motivation letter actually and the sentence is as following:
    Enthusiastic about environmental issues, I would love to join your company as project manager for the unit « environment ».

Note that the company operates in 3 segments (social, environment and education) and I am applying for "environment".

Thanks =)

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Enthusiastic about environmental issues, I would love to join your company as project manager for the unit « environment ».
    There is nothing grammatically wrong with this sentence. However, as a stylistic matter, I would prefer:

Because I am enthusiastic about environmental issues, I would love to join your company as project manager for the unit « environment ».
    Being enthusiastic about environmental issues, I would love to join your company ...........

There is something odd the form "Enthusiastic about environmental issues" in this context.

Snowflk

French
    There is nothing grammatically wrong with this sentence. However, as a stylistic matter, I would prefer:

Because I am enthusiastic about environmental issues, I would love to join your company as project manager for the unit « environment ».
    Being enthusiastic about environmental issues, I would love to join your company ...........

There is something odd the form "Enthusiastic about environmental issues" in this context.
    Nodded. It is possible that the form is inspired by a French structure (it is something I would definitely write in French).
    Thank you!

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I think you are deeply concerned about environmental issues.

You are enthusiastic in your support for environmental organisations/groups.

< Previous | Next >