entitled and entrenched guilds spoiled by generations of unfettered autonomy.

< Previous | Next >
  • Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    Unfettered : without constraints
    Autonomy : able to make decisions and take actions without reference to a higher authority.

suzi br

English / England
    Quite a few concepts there.
    Guilds were (maybe still are in some cases) the fore-runner of professional associations which admitted members to their profession or craft. As such they upheld standards but also could impose their own "rules" and set out what they would or would not do.

This writer is using guild with a negative connotation, that the professions want things "all their own way". Now he is realising that the professionals concerns were rooted in real issues.

VadimR

Russian
    Quite a few concepts there.
    Guilds were (maybe still are in some cases) the fore-runner of professional associations which admitted members to their profession or craft. As such they upheld standards but also could impose their own "rules" and set out what they would or would not do.

This writer is using guild with a negative connotation, that the professions want things "all their own way". Now he is realising that the professionals concerns were rooted in real issues.
    Thank you!

VadimR

Russian
    Unfettered : without constraints
    Autonomy : able to make decisions and take actions without reference to a higher authority.
    Isn't autonomy includes in itself the meaning of unfettered i.e. without constraints?
    For me it sounds like they all have the same meaning. Or am I wrong may be?

suzi br

English / England
    Isn't autonomy includes in itself the meaning of unfettered i.e. without constraints?
    For me it sounds like they all have the same meaning. Or am I wrong may be?
    I didn't see it as tautology when I read it though now you mention it, I guess you are right.
    Maybe even autonomous beings can exert some self-control, so adding unfettered just underlines the absolute freedom of the autonomou body?

VadimR

Russian
    I didn't see it as tautology when I read it though now you mention it, I guess you are right.
    Maybe even autonomous beings can exert some self-control, so adding unfettered just underlines the absolute freedom of the autonomou body?
    I think you are right =)

Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    There are different degrees of autonomy - certain government agencies, for example, are autonomous, which means that politicians have no say in the day to day operations, but politicians still have the right to change the rules under which the agency functions. So in my view it is not a tautology, merely a qualification of the degree of autonomy.

VadimR

Russian
    There are different degrees of autonomy - certain government agencies, for example, are autonomous, which means that politicians have no say in the day to day operations, but politicians still have the right to change the rules under which the agency functions. So in my view it is not a tautology, merely a qualification of the degree of autonomy.
    Thanks!

< Previous | Next >