entity

< Previous | Next >

caroline0729

Chinese Mandarin
"Americans would be surprised at the sophistication of Chinese entities," and they would recognize themselves in China's people: saving to buy cars, houses and pay their kids' college fees, he says.
I think "Chinese entities" means the characteristics of Chinese people, right?
And the word "they" refers to Americans.
It seems to me that the Americans (who come to China) will behave like what Chinese people do, like saving to buy cars, houses and pay their kids' college fees, right?

• Copyright

American English
    I'll go out on a limb here and say that we would never say that. An entity is a thing with distinct and independent existence (WR dictionary) and I can't imagine using it for "characteristics."

Could you give us the source of this sentence, please?

It means that Americans would recognize their own behavior in Chinese people, because both people do the same things.

Copyright

American English
    Yes, I'm sure you're right, Tazzler. I was connecting "entities" with the noun that followed -- people -- when it apparently goes with the noun that precedes it -- companies, with "companies" and "people" being two aspects of the society that are being discussed.

"In ten years it won't be that uncommon for Americans to work in Chinese companies," he says, but don't be alarmed. "Americans would be surprised at the sophistication of Chinese entities," and they would recognize themselves in China's people: saving to buy cars, houses and pay their kids' college fees, he says.

< Previous | Next >