Entrée = appetizer?

Mateo34

French - français
Hi!

I would like to know what is the best way to translate "entrée". I know that it should be "appetizer" but the problem is that the french translation of "appetizer" in the WordReference dictionary is not "entrée" but "amuse-bouche" or "amuse-gueule".

That's not the same, because "amuse-bouche" or "amuse-gueule" are smaller dishes than "entrée" and it will sound a bit pejorative if you call an "entrée" an "amuse-bouche".

Moreover, in French, we can use "amuse-bouche" or "amuse-gueule" in figurative. For example if you do something and you find it was really easy to do and then you have to do something harder, you can say "c'était juste un amuse-bouche"...

Thanks

PS: how can you translate "merci d'avance"? "Thanks by advance" definitively sounds odd…

• Soliloquy

English (United States)
    In North America, the entrée is the main course, but in BE, it is the smaller meal before the main course, I would say "starter" maybe or "first course". I definitely do hear "starter" to refer to it a lot.

P.S.: Merci d'avance would be "Thanks in advance". :)

Mateo34

French - français
    OK, thanks.
    I knew than in North America "entree" refers to the main dish, but thanks to you I know now that there is a better translation for the French word "entrée" than "appetizer". :).

What does "BE" stands for?

PS: for those who don't see signatures, here is mince: "Don't hesitate to correct my English (also if it's just not very natural). <-- Is that correct?" ;)