entrate fuori tempo

< Previous | Next >

spero

english (USA)
I'm translating a paragraph that is talking about a game of soccer between neighbourhood kids. One of the players talks about how he loves everything about the game, bad passes, off-cantered shots, and "entrate fuori tempo".

I really do not understand what this could refer to in a soccer game. I thought maybe it's when the player with the ball steps into the goal area before the other players, but it's just a guess and internet is not helping me. Can any soccer fans help me on this? Thanks

• Starless74

Italiano
    Hello, spero
    "Entrate" is "tackles", which in soccer (unlike American football) means acting upon an opponent player to take the ball off them.
    "Fuori tempo" indicates when the "tackling" player arrives too early or too late and fails to get the ball.
    I have no idea how this can be effectively translated into English, though.

Last edited:

Tellure

Italian
    How do you tackle in football?
    [...]
    1. Position of the ball

How far is the ball away from you? This allows you to assess the timing to stick your foot out and dispossess your opponent, taking the ball away from him with minimal physical contact
    How do you tackle in football?.

"Bad timing tacklings"??

Edit: O "tackling" al singolare?

Last edited:

giginho

Italiano & Piemontese
    **********NEW QUESTION***********

Same sentence "entrare fuori tempo" but in a totally different field: music.

"Entrare fuori tempo" happens when a musician starts playing his/her instrument not a tempo with the other musicians.
    Let's say that the song we are playing is in 4/4, I'm the drummer and I am supposed to start playing on the third measure at 1 (al terzo giro sull'uno... if my attempt makes sense in English), but I miss the right tempo and I jump in at the fourth measure at 2 (al quarto giro sul due) ...."sono entrato fuori tempo".

How can I say that? I've jumped in out of time?

Thanks, chaps!

Paulfromitaly

Italian
    **********NEW QUESTION***********

Same sentence "entrare fuori tempo" but in a totally different field: music.

"Entrare fuori tempo" happens when a musician starts playing his/her instrument not a tempo with the other musicians.
    Let's say that the song we are playing is in 4/4, I'm the drummer and I am supposed to start playing on the third measure at 1 (al terzo giro sull'uno... if my attempt makes sense in English), but I miss the right tempo and I jump in at the fourth measure at 2 (al quarto giro sul due) ...."sono entrato fuori tempo".

How can I say that? I've jumped in out of time?

Thanks, chaps!
    E' nel dizionario

fuori tempo - Dizionario italiano-inglese WordReference

andare fuori tempodo [sth] offbeat
    (music)not follow the beat

< Previous | Next >