Entreat someone not to | do so to

< Previous | Next >

the1dsuniverse

Spanish
Hey guys I'm reading City of Bones (the first book of a tv show that's being aired nowadays called Shadowhunters), and this is supposed to be the "Parabatai Oath" (it's an oath that two warriors say right before pledging to be together forever) and I don't really understand the following parts:

Entreat me not to leave thee,
Or return from following after thee
For whither thou goest, I will go,

And where thou lodgest, I will lodge.
Thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God.
Where thou diest, will I die, and there will I be buried.
The Angel do so to me, and more also,
If aught but death part thee and me

Wordreference says "entreat" is begging someone to do something, so in the first sentence, the warrior is telling the other warrior to beg him not to leave him? And also the sentence that goes right after that one (return from following after you), does that mean he should never stop following his partner, or that if his partner decides to leave, he should let him?

Almost at the end, "The Angel do so to me", what do they mean by "so"? The fact that he will die along with the other warrior and be buried because of their huge bond?

• DePorAhí

English - United States
    "Entreat me not to..." means don't ask me to. To paraphrase: "Don't ever ask me to leave you, or to turn back from following after you."

Yes, "The Angel do so (thus) to me" is a request that the angel cause him to die and be buried in the same location as his partner warrior.

Pretty intense oath; it sounds like marriage vows!

This is (virtually) a famous Biblical quote. Ruth 1
    And Ruth said, Intreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God: 17Where thou diest, will I die, and there will I be buried: the LORD do so to me, and more also, if ought but death part thee and me.

DePorAhí

English - United States
    Great to know bennymix; I wondered why it seemed so familiar!

Yes, the1dsuniverse, that's basically the idea. It's also part of the "entreat me not" request in line 1.

the1dsuniverse

Spanish
    One last question, is he asking The Angel to do that do him (as if he'd said: may the angel do so to me) or is he just stating that the Angel will do that to him? I was just wondering because he doesn't really use the 3rd person singular when he refers to the angel.

Trochfa

UK
    English - England
    Where thou diest, will I die, and there will I be buried.
    The Angel do so to me, and more also,
    If aught but death part thee and me
    I think this section is almost a unit on its own.

For me it means:
    "May the Angel kill me and more also [such as, torture me with trials before I die.]
    If aught [anything] other than death parts us. [i.e. The speaker is basically saying "May God strike me dead if I desert/abandon/leave you."]

I realise that other members will have different interpretations.

DePorAhí

English - United States
    I think this section is almost a unit on its own.

For me it means:
    "May the Angel kill me and more also [such as, torture me with trials before I die.]
    If aught [anything] other than death parts us. [i.e. The speaker is basically saying "May God strike me dead if I desert/abandon/leave you."]

I realise that other members will have different interpretations.
    :thumbsup:
    Yours works very well for me.

Myridon

English - US
    This is (virtually) a famous Biblical quote. Ruth 1:16-17 King James Version
    And Ruth said, Intreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God: 17Where thou diest, will I die, and there will I be buried: the LORD do so to me, and more also, if ought but death part thee and me.
    To take advantage of Biblical scholars, verse 17 in the New Living Testament is:
    Wherever you die, I will die, and there I will be buried. May the LORD punish me severely if I allow anything but death to separate us!"
    You can view more versions here:
    Ruth 1:17 Where you die I will die, and there I will be buried. May the LORD deal with me, be it ever so severely, if even death separates you and me."

< Previous | Next >