Epenthesis in 'enmity'

< Previous | Next >

Yôn

English
Good evening, folks:

I just realized that the word enmity is, in fact, only three syllables. According to my dictionary, it should be pronounced as: ['ɛ̃nməti]. However, all my days of knowing this word I have pronounced it as: [ɛ̃'nɪ̃məti].

Is there anyone else who inserts an extra sound in this word? This is just a curious survey; perhaps it will return some interesting results!

Thanks,
Jon
:)

• Dimcl

Canadian English
    Good evening, folks:

I just realized that the word enmity is, in fact, only three syllables. According to my dictionary, it should be pronounced as: ['ɛ̃nməti]. However, all my days of knowing this word I have pronounced it as: [ɛ̃'nɪ̃məti].

Is there anyone else who inserts an extra sound in this word? This is just a curious survey; perhaps it will return some interesting results!

Thanks,
    Jon
    :)
    I've noticed that a lot of Americans do this with a number of words and, honestly, I've never heard other English-speaking groups do this. Given that "enmity" isn't an everyday word, I've never heard it said the way you describe but a couple of the words I hear are "Realitor" or "reality. They are both two-syllable words (realtor and realty) that I often hear pronounced with the extra "i" syllable that you describe.

ewie

English English
    I've not heard this in BE (I hope the 'everyone' in your original question extends to us too, Yôn). The only example of the phenomenon I can think of in BE is the regional ~ but fairly often-heard ~ pronunciation of film as /'fɪləm/, but I'm sure there are others.

< Previous | Next >