episode/ scene

< Previous | Next >

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
The look on that woman’s face was priceless! The bratty kid and his mom family left soon after that episode, while the other customer high-fived me every time I walked by his table.

Good Customers Are Worth Their Waiter In Gold
Background: The poster was a waitress waiting on a table with two obnoxious customers. The kid waved an empty cup at the waitress. She came over and asked if he wanted anything. His mother, rather than correct his behavior, took a jab at her for asking the obvious. Some busy body at the next table couldn't stand their attitude and taught them a lesson about respect.

Hi, Since the waitress and the other customer had the last laugh on the kid and his mom, I wonder if it'd be okay to use "after that scene" (from the phrase "make a scene of themselves") in place of "after that episode"?

• Myridon

English - US
    I wonder if it'd be okay to use "after that scene" (from the phrase "make a scene of themselves") in place of "after that episode"?
    You could, but the meanings are not quite the same. "Episode" is neutral (an event or a sequence of events). "Scene" is generally negative (a public display of emotion or anger). (Definitions courtesy of the Word Reference dictionary)
    (You can "make a scene", but you can't "make a scene of yourself". I think you're thinking of "make a spectacle of yourself.")

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
    Thanks cyberpedant and Myridon. Yes, The unfortunate conflation somehow got stuck in my head. It had actually been unremarked by me for years. Thanks for pointing that out.

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
    Example: Baptist University students have sparked an outcry by asking for free food from a small eatery that uses its spare resources to feed the poor in Sham Shui Po.
    University vice-chancellor Albert Chan Sun-chi said the students would learn from the event.

Source: Baptist University students get roasting over barbecued meat ploy

Background
    : In the face of an outpouring of public rage, those freeloaders eventually apologized in person for taking advantage of the eatery's goodwill. When asked what he thought of the students' oversight, the University vice-chancellor said the students would learn from the event.

Would it make sense to use "episode" or "incident" instead of "event"? I find "event" a bit weird for this kind of story.

< Previous | Next >