epissage

daisy

Britain, English
Can anyone help me? I'm studying an article from Le Monde and I'd like to know what the word "epissage" means.

"epissage: une phase qui se situe chronologiquement au sien du processus aboutissant a la creation des proteines a partir de l'information contenue dans le gene"

From the context of the article, I think it means the biological process of transcription, but I'm not sure,

thanks

• OlivierG

France / Français
    That's right.
    I don't know the English word, but the explanation means:
    "a phase located chronologically within the process that leads to protein creation from the information included in the gene".

Chez Oz

UK and Australia/English
    A literal translation of "épissage" is "splicing", that is, the joining of two ropes or cables by teasing out their component cords and intertwining them so as to form a strong bond.

daisy

Britain, English
    Thanks
    so "epissage" means splicing, but how do you say "transcription" and "translation"? Also how do you say "x-ray crystallography" - the process used by Rosalind Franklin to create the photos of DNA?
    Thank you!

OlivierG

France / Français
    daisy said:
    Thanks
    so "epissage" means splicing, but how do you say "transcription" and "translation"?
    I don't know if there are specific terms for biology, but I'd say "transcription", and ... "translation" :)
    Also how do you say "x-ray crystallography" - the process used by Rosalind Franklin to create the photos of DNA?
    "la cristallographie à rayons X"

Lucas

France, français
    OlivierG said:
    I don't know if there are specific terms for biology, but I'd say "transcription", and ... "translation" :)

In the context of DNA it's « translation » with the meaning of traduction.
    In French, translation designates the geometrical operation done by « moving » objects along a vector.