...equally as well as ...

< Previous | Next >

LQZ

Mandarin
For example, surgeons in private practice at the New Jersey Center for Prostate Cancer and Urology advertise on their Web site that robot-assisted surgery provides “cancer cure equally as well as traditional prostate surgery” and “significantly improved urinary control.”---taken from the NYT
Dear all,

If I were to write, I would say '...provides cancer cure as equally as traditional surgery' or '...provides cancer cure as well as traditional surgery'. To me the original is strange and repetitive. Could you clear it up? Thanks.

LQZ

• ewie

English English
    Hello LQZ. Your first alternative (as equally as) doesn't work, I'm afraid.

The problem here is that as well as, as I'm sure you know, generally means in addition to. What the author wants to say is as effectively as; to avoid the ambiguity, he's added equally on the front of his as [effectively] well as ... which does indeed produce something fairly hideous-sounding, but is a commonly-made mistake.

He would have done better to say as effectively as or to the same extent as:)

LQZ

Mandarin
    Hello LQZ. Your first alternative (as equally as) doesn't work, I'm afraid.

The problem here is that as well as, as I'm sure you know, generally means in addition to. What the author wants to say is as effectively as; to avoid the ambiguity, he's added equally on the front of his as [effectively] well as ... which does indeed produce something fairly hideous-sounding, but is a commonly-made mistake.

He would have done better to say as effectively as or to the same extent as:)
    Thank you, ewie, your interpretation is convincing.:)

< Previous | Next >