Era,Estaba,Fue,Iba

El Hondureño

USA;English,Spanish,Brazilian Portuguese
Okay I've never know when to use Era or when to use Estaba, could it be explained for me?
Also when to use fue or iba?(if this word is really used in Spanish)

• lauranazario

Moderatrix
    Español puertorriqueño & US English
    El Hundurano said:
    Okay I've never know when to use Era or when to use Estaba, could it be explained for me?
    Also when to use fue or iba?(if this word is really used in Spanish)

Era = was (past tense of "to be") Yo era un estudiante = I was a student
    Estaba = was (past tense of "to be located at") Yo estaba en la tienda = I was at the store

Fue = he/she went --> El fue a la tienda = he went to the store
    Iba = he/she was going --> Ella iba a la tienda cuando la llamaron = she was going to the store when they called her

Hope this helps...
    LN

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    El Hundurano said:
    So Era is something someone once was, and Estaba is somewhere somebody once was at

Vale! Thank you I totally understand

Hombre, Laura has done a fine job with this. Here are a couple other things to help you know when to use the verb ser=to be, or estar=to be.

Ser is used to talk about the essence of something, the permanent qualities that do not change. Estar refers to condition or location.

Yo soy hombre. I am a man. That's my permanent condition.
    Yo estoy cansado. I am tired. That's temporary.

Soy lector. I am a reader.
    Estoy escribiendo. I am writing [at this moment, not all day long every day.]

Hope this helps,
    Cuchuflete

sergio11

Spanish (lunfardo)
    Ser refers to essence and estar refers to state. For example, if you say "he is white" meaning that he belongs to the white race, it is a matter of essence, so that you use ser, and consequently you would say, "es blanco." If on the other hand, you say "he is white" meaning that he is white as a ghost because he is scared, or that he is pale because he is sick, or that he got covered with flour when a bag of flour exploded, that one is a matter of state, so that you would say, "está blanco."

When you want to say that someone is mature as a personality trait, being that a matter of essence, you say "es maduro." If, on the other hand, you want to say that a fruit is ripe to be eaten, being this a matter of state, you say, "está maduro."

If you say that something is big, for example a dog, as an innate characteristic, such as describing a St. Bernard or a Dalmatian, you say "es grande" (essence), but if you say about the same dog that it is big for his age, because puppies of that age are usually smaller, meaning that it is grown, that it is bigger than expected (state), you say "está grande."

I don't know whether this clarified anything or made it more confusing. I hope it helps.