Eravamo tredici, siamo rimasti dodici

Miaomiao Gong

Chinese
Hello there,

This is an Italian catch,

"...Eravamo tredici, siamo rimasti dodici, sei facevano rima, e sei facevan’ pima-poma-pima-poma..."

Could you please help to translate it into English so I can understand it?

Thank you very much!

• giginho

Italiano & Piemontese
    Hi!

this seems to be a part of some kind of silly song. the first part means:

we were thirteen, now we are twelve, six were rhyming and six were making .....pima-poma (I really don't know what it is!).

Could you please give us the whole song, if this really is a song, of course!

This is not surely a song or rhyme which is part of our shared heritage, though I may be wrong... I suspect it is just made up by the author, playing with rima-pima. I stick with giginho translation, while the pima-poma part is simply meaningless.

Mary49

Italian
    The following sentence is "God knows what it was supposed to be about". It isn't an Italian traditional children song, I agree it's an invention by Iris Murdoch.

Miaomiao Gong

Chinese
    You are incredible! What an amazing memory you have! It's from Iris Murdoch's novel "The sea, the sea".

The following sentence is "God knows what it was supposed to be about". It isn't an Italian traditional children song, I agree it's an invention by Iris Murdoch.
    Thank you giginho. It's from Iris Murdoch's novel “The sea, the sea". Three people were singing an Italian song - ... They were very happy. :)

Hi!

we were thirteen, now we are twelve, six were rhyming and six were making .....pima-poma (I really don't know what it is!).

Last edited by a moderator:

giginho

Italiano & Piemontese
    You're very welcome Miaomiao Gong.

I'm sorry but, as said above, I'm not famliar with this song but, of course, it could be a creation of the author, as our friend previouslys pointed out.

Have a nice day

Gigiño

Miaomiao Gong

Chinese
    But there was any more words of this song. It was followed by "God knows what it is supposed to be about."

Hi!

< Previous | Next >