erection of buildings?

Albert Kyarunts

Russian
Hello! I'm translating a science paper, and at a particular word I got confused. Here is the sentence:

"The major reasons for limitation of the demand on services presented in the construction sector are both chronic decrease of income of citizens and weak investing activity of the corporate sector in terms of modernization of its production with erection of new buildings and constructions."

Is it an appropriate word for this context? Is the entire sentence clearly understandable?

• Linkway

British English
    "Erection" is often used in connection with the construction of new buildings.

The city council granted permission for the erection of twelve new houses.

Albert Kyarunts

Russian
    "Erection" is often used in connection with the construction of new buildings.

The city council granted permission for the erection of twelve new houses.
    Linkway, thanks!
    Does it mean that my sentence is correct or that I have to remove "new" from "new buildings?

Uncle Jack

British English
    "Erection" and "new buildings" are fine, but I think "construction" (uncountable) is better. This does not go with "erection" (you don't erect constructions), but it is another object of "with", and nothing else needs to change.

Albert Kyarunts

Russian
    "Erection" and "new buildings" are fine, but I think "construction" (uncountable) is better. This does not go with "erection" (you don't erect constructions), but it is another object of "with", and nothing else needs to change.
    Great thanks!
    I thought it would be kind of unclear because of the end of the sentence: "...of its production with construction of new buildings and constructions". Am I wrong here?

Albert Kyarunts

Russian
    You are right to avoid "construction of new buildings" if you also want to use "construction" in a more general sense.
    I'm sorry, but I didn't get it. In this case, I need to say that "companies avoid erecting new buildings and constructions" (like a warehouse, or, a mortar-concrete unit).
    So, probabley, there is no point to make the meaning more general.
    Othervise (which is more likely), I just can't understand what did you mean because of my poor language skills.

Uncle Jack

British English
    I did not mean to confuse you. "...with erection of new buildings and construction" is okay, although "the erection" is probably better. The structure is:
    with
    the erection of new buildings​
    and
    construction​
    not
    with the erection of
    new buildings​
    and
    constructions​
    since constructions aren't erected. This is also why "construction" should be uncountable. It might possibly be clearer if you swapped the two terms over, and had "construction" first.

What I meant in post #6 is that you should not use "construction of new buildings" if you are then going to follow it with "and construction". It was the the second "construction" that I was referring to with "in a more general sense".

Albert Kyarunts

Russian
    I did not mean to confuse you. "...with erection of new buildings and construction" is okay, although "the erection" is probably better. The structure is:
    with
    the erection of new buildings​
    and
    construction​
    not
    with the erection of
    new buildings​
    and
    constructions​
    since constructions aren't erected. This is also why "construction" should be uncountable. It might possibly be clearer if you swapped the two terms over, and had "construction" first.

What I meant in post #6 is that you should not use "construction of new buildings" if you are then going to follow it with "and construction". It was the the second "construction" that I was referring to with "in a more general sense".
    Uncle Jack, you are awesome! Thanks a lot for your open and comprehensive answers.
    What I've found is that the second "constructions" is probabley have to be replaced with "structures". Does that make more sense?

kentix

English - U.S.
    I agree that erection is not a great word in that context. It would be more appropriate when the direct topic is the buildings.

"We plan to erect seven new office buildings in the next fiscal year."

For your sentence, the more general idea of construction, of all kinds, is more appropriate.

I would say "the construction of new buildings and production facilities."

Also, double check your sentences for articles ("the"). You're missing quite a few.

Albert Kyarunts

Russian
    I agree that erection is not a great word in that context. It would be more appropriate when the direct topic is the buildings.

"We plan to erect seven new office buildings in the next fiscal year."

For your sentence, the more general idea of construction, of all kinds, is more appropriate.

I would say "the construction of new buildings and production facilities."

Also, double check your sentences for articles ("the"). You're missing quite a few.
    Thank you, my friend, for pointing the article issue out. I have to get the rule, but it is so hard to be understood though. In Russian we don't have any of them, or anything alike.

kentix

English - U.S.
    Yes, I've learned that from other Russian speakers on here. It seems obvious to us but I guess it's not as obvious as it appears.:)

It would make sense to put one in front of erection.

Albert Kyarunts

Russian
    Yes, I've learned that from other Russian speakers on here. It seems obvious to us but I guess it's not as obvious as it appears.:)

It would make sense to put one in front of erection.
    Thank you for the help and inspiration:)
    I hope you are having a great day!

< Previous | Next >