erfreuen uns daran

Kittybub

English - Scotland
Hallo an alle,

The context is a photographer talking about light :

Unser Leben wäre ohne Licht nicht möglich, denn es liefert uns die Energie, die alle organischen Prozesse benötigen. Wir wachsen im Licht, erfreuen uns daran, sind deprimiert wenn es ausbleibt.

I am wondering if I can translate erfreuen by flourish rather than delight in or rejoice in. I'd like to use a plant metaphor here which is not elaborated on in the original version. So I would say :

Our life would not be possible without light. Light provides the energy that every organic process requires. We grow in light, we flourish in it, (we droop in its absence).

Vielen Dank im Voraus :)

• Kittybub

English - Scotland
    Flourishing may be the consequence but the meaning here is simply "(we) take delight in it".
    I thought that might be the case :( So my extended metaphor doesn't work. I think I'll put "we delight in it", without take, which is nice as well, but without take, the delight is more comprehensive. I think :)

manfy

German - Austria
    Our life would not be possible without light. Light provides the energy that every organic process requires. We grow in light, we flourish in it, (we droop in its absence).
    I, for one, have no big problem with flourish.
    The sequence grow -> flourish -> droop (wilt) is well balanced and expressive and fits well to the idea conveyed in the original.
    Granted, there is a bit of artistic license involved but wachsen + erfreuen = aufblühen, isn't it? Maybe that's exactly what the German author wanted to express, but couldn't find the right word for. Who knows?
    You have my blessing. :p

JClaudeK

Français France, Deutsch (SW-Dtl.)
    Granted, there is a bit of artistic license involved but wachsen + erfreuen = aufblühen, isn't it?
    "aufblühen" wäre die genaue Entsprechung zu "flourish", aber die hat der Autor nicht gewählt.

Deshalb bin ich eher mit Demiurg einverstanden:
    Flourishing may be the consequence but the meaning here is simply "(we) take delight in it".
    :thumbsup:

Kittybub

English - Scotland
    You're the native speaker. :thumbsup:
    Yes but that doesn't mean what it would were I living in an anglophone country! After 15 years in France rarely speaking English I sometimes use French grammatical constructions and even vocabulary when speaking 'English' and don't realise until afterwards (or at all, I imagine...) Add in the other languages as well and it can be a bit of a big Kuddelmuddel!

@manfy and @JClaudeK Thanks for your comments. The German author is very open to suggestions and comfortable with artistic license as regards the translation of his work, so I am going to ask him directly :):idea::D

berndf

German (Germany)
    I think I'll put "we delight in it"
    We delight in it
    We rejoice in it

sounds good to me.

Or, not so literal but well flowing: We are delighted when it is present and depressed when it is absent.

If you want to keep it simple you could also translate sich an etwas erfreuen by to enjoy something.

Last edited:

Kittybub

English - Scotland
    We are delighted when it is present and depressed when it is absent.

This is lovely, but it has made me realise that the author is referring to something we very rarely experience, an absence of light. I have to check with him if he means a situation such as countries near the poles experience, when there is almost no light for months of the year (though I am not certain this makes the inhabitants depressed, in general); or if he means the lack of light many countries experience, for example Scotland, when there are only a few hours of proper daylight per day during the winter months. Thank you for making me realise this!