French base ergonomique

Dictionary entry: ergonomique
F

fautelourde

ergonomique adj (qui facilite le travail)ergonomic, user-friendly adj
Les postures ergonomiques limitent les douleurs articulaires.
Would "user-friendly" really work with objects, accessories... for the posture?

• DrD

Dictionary Editor
    England English
    Hello,

No, it wouldn't. Thanks for flagging this up. I've removed 'user-friendly' from the possible translations. The change will appear next time the dictionary is updated.

Kelly B

USA English
    Ack, wait, please, I've encountered loads of instances where FR ergonomique (qui facilite le travail) means user-friendly, frequently in the context of software, for example. Ergonomic EN is NOT suitable in that case. You could split the two, if you want to be more specific, but getting rid of it is not appropriate.

No idea whether those were generally Fr/France vs Fr/Canada (or Fr/Belgium, for that matter.)

DrD

Dictionary Editor
    England English
    Blast, of course it wasn't going to be that easy! I mean, I suppose you could say software is ergonomic, but it doesn't seem very likely that someone would.

I think I might pass this to @Lacuzon to see what he thinks about different uses. I think it's fair to say that, for us, ergonomic is about physical efficiency and comfort, so furniture, keyboards, office layout, that kind of thing, but not about how easy/efficient something immaterial is. Yes? In which case, does French use it for more immaterial things? If so can we split into two French senses?

Lacuzon

Dictionary Editor
    French - France
    Bonjour,

I tend to share DrD's opinion. Ergonomique means easy to use, well designed, but for physical devices like a chair or a mouse. For a software interface I would be more likely to use intuitif.

Kelly B

USA English
    Granted, but when an English speaker like me reads a text by a native French speaker who does use it to describe software, it's helpful to offer an equivalent that works in English.

If I'd only seen it once, then a forum thread saying "this is used incorrectly but here's what it means" would suffice, but I really don't have the impression it's so rare as that.

(And I am not suggesting that you add ergonomique as a back-translation for user-friendly, since I do agree there are much better choices.)

DrD

Dictionary Editor
    England English
    So, it looks like it should definitely be a separate French sense. What I've done for now is to reinstate user-friendly, but with a Dsense of computing. (Kelly, you'll be able to see it online after the next dictionary update, whenever that is).