Errata corrige

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Silvia, Nov 29, 2004.

  1. Silvia

    Silvia Senior Member

    I need to know if it’s correct to use the word ‘errata’ for ‘errata corrige’

    Is there a better expression?
  2. pinkpanter

    pinkpanter Senior Member

    "corrige erratum" is a better option because "errata" is the plural of "erratum" (it is a word of latin origin)
  3. Silvia

    Silvia Senior Member

    I know! But corrige erratum would mean there's one mistake only?

    Can I say 'errata corrige' then? (it's more than one mistake, and not mine! :D)
    Isn't there an English expression for that?
  4. pinkpanter

    pinkpanter Senior Member

    Silvi, now I feel confused. :) I do not know why I thought you wanted to mean only one mistake... I am strange sometimes... Hmmm I have never seen it in the plural but it seems logic you could say so. I am not sure though...

    Hey natives, it's your turn! :D
  5. walnut

    walnut Senior Member

    Italy - Italian
    My experience: when working for italian publishers I normally see 'errata corrige', when working for british publishers I often had to do with 'erratum' tout court. Ciao! :) Walnut
  6. Rob625

    Rob625 Senior Member

    Murlo (SI)
    English - England
    :confused: OK. I am a native English speaker and I even understand some latin, but I don't know what you are asking!

    In the days of old-fashioned book-making, you would often find a slip (a little piece of paper) stuck in a book, listing the mistakes and titled "Errata". More rarely, there would be just one mistake, and the slip would then be correctly titled "Erratum"; or perhaps as often, incorrectly titled "Errata." Rather illogically, this made no mention of the fact that what was wrong was thus being corrected; but that's how it was.

    Is this what you wanted to know?
  7. Silvia

    Silvia Senior Member

    Yes, Rob. You see, the correct way to say that would be "errata corrige", that means you corrected the mistakes. If the English decided it was too long for them (?!! :D) what can I do about it?! So to make myself understood I'll write "errata"! Simple as that! Thank you for confirming that ;)
  8. leenico

    leenico Senior Member

    U.S.A. english
    Sylvia, I believe that you are right. From Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary, the following is supplied.
    Errata n (fr. pl. of erratum): a list of corrigenda; also: a page bearing such a list. ;)

Share This Page